Not much can beat a bowl of classic chili, except a bowl of easy to make Classic Crockpot Chili. To me this chili is the epitome of what chili should be full of beef, onions, peppers, beans, and tomatoes. Not that I don’t love other varieties of chili for example my Crockpot Creamy Pumpkin Chili is completely drool worthy. But I have lived a few different places throughout the country now and some peoples idea of chili to me is a little off, I don’t want to call out Ohio but Cincinnati Chili… umm not my favorite. If you are not familiar with how Cincinnati does their chili they leave out the beans, add cinnamon, and put it on top of spaghetti usually then topped with cheese and onions. Then there is Texas chili, which I am pretty sure includes chocolate…. So yeah different places can mean you get quite the different chili experience. So while I love the variety chili brings to me nothing beats my idea of classic chili. So today I share with you my Classic Crockpot Chili.
This chili simmers in the crockpot all day long so it is ready after a long day and it is very easy to put together in the morning (especially if you do some prep the night before). You start by browning the ground beef, then chopping up the onion and peppers, add all of that to the crockpot along with beans and tomatoes. Adding the spices and then the tomato juice. Viola dinner is ready! At my house we like to top our chili with cheddar cheese, sour cream, and saltines, sometime we also crush up Nacho Cheese Doritos for the top (when I am feeling nice enough to buy junk food at the grocery store). So I hope you give my version of Classic Crockpot Chili a try, Enjoy!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 large onion
- 2 jalapeños (optional)
- 1 15oz can dark red kidney beans
- 1 15oz can chili ready black beans
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 46oz can 100% tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream/plain greek yogurt, saltines
- Over medium heat cook ground beef in skillet until brown, 8-10 minutes. Drain fat and add cooked beef to crockpot.
- Dice green bell peppers, onions, and jalapeños, add to crockpot. (If you do not want too much heat but you want the flavor of jalapeños be sure to remove all the white middle and seeds.)
- Without draining the cans add the dark red kidney beans, chili ready black beans, and diced tomatoes to the crockpot.
- Add chili powder, cumin, onion powder, salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and ground pepper to crockpot. Mix seasoning into all ingredients until completely mixed.
- Slowly add the tomato juice to crockpot, fill the tomato juice into crock until all other ingredients are covered by the juice. You may or may not use the full 46oz. Give a quick stir to mix everything together.
- Cook for 6 to 8 hours on low.
Peace & Love
The Schmidty Wife
P.S. Sign up for tasty recipes straight to your inbox!