I first made this Healthier Cajun Chicken Pasta the night before a race of mine. I recently ran a 10k trail race, and it was a lot of work. And as any good runner the night before I ‘carbo loaded’, *Visioning Michael Scott downing fettuccine alfredo right before his Michael Scott’s Dunder-Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awarness Pro-Am Fun Run Race For The Cure* ~ Seriously I can’t help but compare everything to The Office.
Cajun Chicken Pasta is something that you see a lot of these days but as I was looking at a lot of recipes they were filled with nothing but heavy cream and butter, yikes! I needed to make a healthier version. So I ditched the heavy cream and butter, swapped in milk and a little olive oil, and added veggies! Voila a Healthier Cajun Chicken Pasta!
Also if you were wondering, my race went well! I ran the 10k in 1 hour, if you are a runner and haven’t tried a trail run yet I definitely recommend trying one. It can be hard, like a ton of hills, like the last mile was all up hill but so much fun and so beautiful. So go find a fun race to run and ‘carbo’ load with this Healthier Cajun Chicken Pasta.
TIPS & TRICKS:
- Although this recipe has many different parts (pasta, chicken, sauce) I find it comes together really fast, so definitely make sure that the pasta is made first, and keep your eyes all all the different pieces to make sure nothing overcooks
- I can’t stress my Cast Iron Pan enough, it is my lifeline in my kitchen, and it is perfect for this recipe
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 4 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnishing
- 1 roma tomato
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Prepare whole wheat penne according to package instructions.
- Dice the onion and tomato. Slice the red bell pepper.
- Carefully cut each of the chicken breasts in half horizontally, so you now have 4 thin pieces of chicken.
- Using 1 teaspoon of cajun seasoning for each piece of chicken, coat each of the chicken pieces, ensure both sides are covered.
- In a large skillet heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil over medium heat.
- Place the chicken in a single layer into the hot skillet, cook for 4-5 minutes. Flip chicken and cook another 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes until fully cooked.
- Add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil to the skillet. Add onion, pepper, mushrooms, and garlic to the skillet.
- Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until onion becomes slightly translucent.
- Add cornstarch to the milk, stir well to make sure there are no clumps. Add milk mixture to the skillet.
- Heat the milk until simmering.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, let simmer 4-5 minutes. Add parmesan cheese and stir in until sauce is formed.
- Add drained pasta into the skillet and stir into the sauce.
- To serve, plate the pasta, slice the chicken and top. Garnish with tomato and parmesan cheese.
Peace & Love
Lauren, The Schmidty Wife
Please note that my links above may be affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. I recommend them because they are helpful, and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products.