Today I am sharing my Honey Mustard Chicken and Sweet Potato Salad. This salad was developed as sort of an accident because of a craving but since then I have made it numerous times and I love it more every time.
My husband was out of town overnight for business so it was just Archie and I at home and whenever that happens I like to make sure that I make food that Matt doesn’t love. One of those foods that Matt doesn’t love is Sweet Potatoes, which in my mind is absolutely crazy because I could probably eat a different form of sweet potatoes every day for the rest of my life, as could Archie. While I do fix them when Matt is around anyways I make a lot more of them when he is gone.
So as he was gone on this business trip I had an extreme craving for a honey mustard salad, and unlike a craving for chocolate cake I was more then happy to give in to what I wanted. So Archie and I took a trip to the store and I started throwing the usual items I would put into a salad into the cart, and then I paused at the sweet potatoes, eureka! I was going to do it, I was going to roast some sweet potatoes and make Honey Mustard Chicken and Sweet Potato Salad.
I did a quick tally of everything I already had at home, dijon mustard, whole grain mustard, honey, olive oil, and eggs. So I quickly grabbed everything else that I needed, some romaine, chicken, red onions, and avocado. This was going to be quite the deliciously loaded salad, I was pumped.
Once I was home I peeled and chopped a large sweet potato into bite size pieces, threw it on a sheet pan along with chicken tenderloins and a little olive oil. I baked the sweet potato and chicken in the oven for about 25 minutes. I threw a couple of eggs in a pot and hard boiled them real quick. I mixed together my mustards, honey, and olive oil into a dressing. The rest was as simple as cutting up lettuce, avocado, and red onions.
I threw all of my ingredients together and oh my goodness, I have found myself a new favorite salad for my family. I think my favorite part about Honey Mustard Chicken and Sweet Potato Salad is that it is hearty and healthy, with tons of protein and fiber it is one of those salads that leaves you feeling full but with out weighing you down.
TIPS & TRICKS:
- This salad comes together super easy but to make it even easier, hard boil the eggs ahead of time.
- If it is a beautiful summer day you could grill the chicken and sweet potatoes.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins
- drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 head of romaine
- 1 avocado
- 5-6 thin slices of red onion
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Peel and dice sweet potato into bite size pieces. Place sweet potato pieces on one half of a sheet pan.
- On the other half of the sheet pan lay the chicken tenderloins down in a single layer. Drizzle olive oil over the sweet potatoes and chicken, toss lightly to cover, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake the sheet pan in the oven for 25-27 minutes until chicken is fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, Add the eggs to a small saucepan, add cold water to the pan until the eggs are covered by about an inch of water. Cover, heat on high until boiling.
- Once you see the water is boiling turn off heat, leave the saucepan there, and do not remove the lid. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- After ten minutes, carefully pour out the hot water and replace with cold water, add 4-5 ice cubes. Let sit at least 5 minutes before peeling. (I usually peel the eggs last before serving the salad to ensure that they are cooled).
- Prep the rest of the salad, mix together the dressing*, chop the romaine, slice the avocado, and slice the red onion.
- Once everything is ready, combine everything in a large bowl to mix together. Serve immediately.
- In a small bowl or jar mix together the dijon mustard, honey, whole grain mustard, and olive oil until combined.
Peace & Love
Lauren, The Schmidty Wife