So it happens to every family, most often in the winter months… a case of colds or flus or stomach bugs, pick your poison it’s the worst. No one likes getting sick and I found after becoming a parent a house full of sickness is even worse then what I could have imagined. To feel absolute crummy yourself but have to pretend everything is okay because you still have to take care of everything is zero fun. And the reason I am talking about sickness today is because once that sickness starts to wind down everyone is always so hungry, but you want something still soothing and healthy. That’s where Lemon Chicken & Kale Soup comes in, sure Chicken Noodle is hard to beat but this one steps up with a ton more healthy veggies and so much more flavor. It’s so good in fact you don’t have to be sick to make it! Full of carrots, celery, ginger, lemon, chicken, and kale its hard to come up with something else that is so full of comfort yet so healthy.
Lemon Chicken & Kale Soup is incredibly easy to make. This soup basically came about as I started mixing some of my favorite elements of different soups. You have your typical carrots, celery, and onions as the base of your soup, I threw in fresh ginger because I think it balances out lemon so perfectly and if you really do have an upset tummy ginger will settle it down. I use Chicken thighs for this soup because in my opinion they are the most flavorful part of the bird (and cheap). And instead of noodles or rice I go straight for more more healthy vegetables.
You will simmer the carrots, celery, onion, ginger and chicken in the chicken stock until everything is nice and tender. Then you remove the chicken from the soup, set a side to cool for a few minutes. Meanwhile you will mix the juice from the lemon with the egg yolks. It will make an amazing delicious creamy flavorful broth! Using a ladle and while continuing to stir the lemon/yolk mixture you will slowly drizzle some of the soup broth into the lemon/yolk mixture. Continue to stir the mixture and add another ladle full of soup broth. You should have a bright yellow creamy mixture that will make your whole soup come together. You will then stir in the kale and shred the chicken and add it back to the soup. Carefully stir in the lemon/yolk mixture, turn off the heat and cover. You will then let it ret rest for 10 minutes. Then find the ginger pieces and remove because no one likes to take a big bite into those. Serve immediately. So whether you are looking for a healthy option or you too have a house full of sickos I hope you enjoy my Lemon Chicken & Kale Soup.
- 3 carrots
- 2 celery ribs
- 5-6 skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1/2 onion
- 1 lemon
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 cups chopped kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop carrots and celery into bite size pieces. Dice onion. Slice ginger into 4-5 pieces.
- Add carrots, celery, onion, ginger, and chicken to a large pot or dutch oven. Zest lemon on top of vegetables and chicken. Add chicken stock to pot.
- Heat covered over high until boiling, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 40 minutes until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Remove chicken from soup, set a side to cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the juice from the lemon with the egg yolks. Using a ladle and while continuing to stir the lemon/yolk mixture slowly drizzle some of the soup broth into the lemon/yolk mixture. Continue to stir the mixture and add another ladle full of soup broth. You should have a bright yellow creamy mixture.
- Stir the kale into the pot of soup. Shred the chicken and stir onto the pot of soup.
- Carefully stir in the lemon/yolk mixture into the soup. Add salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat and cover. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Remove ginger pieces and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Peace & Love
The Schmidty Wife