Hello! Lemon Squares!
I pulled this recipe out from the family archives last week when my neighbors brought over a bag full of lemons. And you know what they say, when life gives you lemons make lemon squares 😉
Well in this case I also made lemon meringue pie but lets get serious these delicious lemon squares are about 150 times easier to make then lemon meringue pie. Like these lemon squares are so easy anyone can make them. A simple crust made of 3 ingredients and the lemon filling is just 5 ingredients, and most of these ingredients you most likely already have in your pantry!
Flour, powdered sugar, and butter are formed into a simple crust and then baked for 15 minutes. Meanwhile you zest and juice your lemon (make sure to watch out for seeds!). You will then mix eggs, sugar, flour, and baking powder in with your lemon juice, beat together and your filling is complete. Once your crust is out of the oven all you have to do is pour the lemon filling on top and bake another 20 minutes! So easy, once done baking you sprinkle with powdered sugar and let it cool.
The simplicity of lemon squares I believe are the best part. You most likely don’t have to run to the store for a missing ingredient and no special kitchen gadgets are required. These are a great dessert for a dinner party, a get together with friends, or just because.
So powdery and delicious, so much sugar 🙂
Perfect for sharing with all your friends and family!
So gooey, tart, and sweet, the most perfect combination!
I hope you enjoy these delicious Lemon Squares! 🙂
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 large lemon (2 tablespoons lemon juice)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a mixing bowl add flour, powdered sugar, and butter to make the crust. Mix together (I find my hands work best) until a smooth dough is formed.
- Press the dough into a 8x8 inch pan. Try to make dough flat and even as possible into a crust.
- Bake crust for 15 minutes.
- While crust is baking zest and juice the lemon into the mixing bowl (you want the amount of lemon juice to be about 2 tablespoons). Add the remaining ingredients, eggs, sugar, flour, and baking powder to the mixing bowl. Beat together.
- Once crust is done baking remove from oven. Carefully pour the lemon filling over the baked crust. Return to oven. Bake and additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle immediately with powdered sugar. Let cool completely before serving. Keep leftovers refrigerated.
Peace & Love
The Schmidty Wife
P.S. I would love to see what you make! Use #theschmidtywife on social media to show off your delicious creations 😉