My son slept about a total of 2 hours last night. I am exhausted. Luckily I have a husband who is ‘happy’ enough to help, and when I say happy I mean cranky but nonetheless we take turns dealing with the little night owl. It doesn’t happen often that Archie doesn’t sleep well so when it does it hits both of us like a ton of bricks. So on days like this by the time dinner rolls around I need easy. I am not saying I don’t like easy every night but on nights when you are moving a little slower then usual meals that are simple are key. So to share a perfect example of a side dish I would make on a night much like tonight here is my recipe for Sauteed Kale with Bacon.
I love having kale as a side dish because we all know kale is a great super food full of vitamins and nutrients. I actually had a few moments to myself earlier this week that I got to get caught up on my magazine reading and I read an interesting fact that kale is super high in calcium and when it is cooked the amount of calcium actually becomes higher. I was very glad to see this because I am not a huge fan of raw kale, I prefer mine sauteed 😉
Sauteed Kale with Bacon is truly so easy I would even barely call it a recipe. You cook the bacon in a skillet, remove the bacon, add kale and garlic to the remaining bacon grease, you cook slightly, deglaze with chicken broth, and once the kale is soft you add the bacon back in and serve. So easy you barely have to think. So the next time you are so exhausted you can’t think throw a couple of chicken breasts on the grill, sauté up some kale and boom dinner. You are welcome 🙂
- 3 slices bacon
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces. Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium heat 5-7 minutes until crispy.
- Remove bacon from pan and set aside. Leave bacon grease in pan.
- Add garlic and kale to skillet, toss until bacon grease covers all of the kale. Let cook for 1-2 minutes until the garlic starts to brown.
- Deglaze the pan with the chicken broth.
- Let the kale continue to cook 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until soft.
- Add bacon back into skillet. Serve immediately.
Peace & Love
The Schmidty Wife