Sometimes I forget about how much I love winter vegetables, and sometimes I totally forget about winter vegetables. I am seriously a sucker for root vegetables. When I was still in my single days a while back I would make myself a full sheet pan full of roasted root vegetables for dinner. So as the cold weather turned up again this year I got pretty excited when root vegetables were on the end caps at the grocery store. I especially love beets, they are my favorite. Not to get on a tangent, but shortly after Archie was born I made beet chips, they were so good I scarfed them down like a crazy person. Later that evening I went to the restroom and my pee was bright pink, I freaked out. I had been having a lot of issues with recovery so I immediately assumed I was having serious issues. Well a few google searches later I discovered that beets can indeed make your pee bright pink, but you guys I seriously thought I was going to have some major medical expenses for about an hour that night. Anyways… with delicious roasted beets in mind I grabbed a couple other of my favorite roots and whipped up this healthy and yummy Sheet Pan Winter Chicken Dinner.
My Sheet Pan Winter Chicken Dinner is very similar to my One Pan Fall Harvest Chicken Dinner but with winter vegetables of course! Nothing is more satisfying in my mind then cooking and baking with produce that is fresh in season. So this easy sheet pan dinner is full of beets, turnips, and carrots, topped with chicken breasts and bacon. All of these ingredients are tossed in a delicious blend of rosemary, thyme, salt & pepper, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. The whole pan is roasted in the oven until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is crispy and juicy. And then the best part of the whole dinner, the clean up, just a bowl and one sheet pan 🙂
an easy sheet pan dinner starring winter produce, ready in under an hour
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large carrots
- 2 large turnips
- 2 large beets (4-5 small beets)
- 6-7 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- 2 strips bacon
- Preheat oven to 425º F
- In a large bowl mix together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Peel and dice carrots, turnips, and beets (make beet dices small, they roast slower then the carrots and turnips). Place vegetables of sheet pan.
- Pour half of the balsamic vinegar mixture on top of the vegetables and toss until completely covered. Spread vegetables out so they are a single level on the sheet pan.
- Add chicken thighs to the bowl with the second half of the balsamic mixture. Toss chicken in mixture until completely covered. Spread out the chicken thighs on top of the vegetables on the sheet pan.
- Slice the bacon into small pieces, Sprinkle bacon pieces over top the vegetables and chicken.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until chicken is fully cooked to at least 165º F and vegetables are tender.
- Serve Immediately. Enjoy!
Peace & Love
The Schmidty Wife
Sign up for recipes straight to your inbox!