This post goes out to all of my pregnant friends! People who aren’t pregnant fixate about the fact that you cannot have alcohol while pregnant, ummm hello you aren’t supposed to have sushi either, talk about a long 9 months! So whether you are pregnant, a little short on funds, or just looking for a quick healthy meal never fear a recipe for Spicy Tuna ‘Sushi’ Wrap is here.
So I wanted to recreate the deliciousness of sushi but wanted to make it about ten times easier and ten times cheaper. So the result, spicy canned tuna, sticky rice, carrots, cucumber, and avocado rolled up in a wrap. These wraps are great for a quick lunch, dinner, or even snack. So settle those cravings and whip up a Spicy Tuna ‘Sushi’ Wrap.
TIPS & TRICKS:
- If you have time make rice ahead of time and let it cool completely
- If you don’t have rice vinegar don’t sweat you can just omit it
- For the sriracha, put as much as you want in, I have just enough to give it a good flavor so that my toddler will still gobble it down, and then when I make the wraps for Matt and I I give a good squirt before I roll the wrap up
- I find cutting the vegetables into super thin matchsticks somehow makes the wraps more fun to eat, I think because it reminds me more of sushi
- Dunk your wraps in soy sauce, it’s delicious, go ahead and add other sushi toppings as well such as sesame seeds, pickled ginger, or wasabi if you have it
- I use spinach wraps because I like how they are green like sushi rolls, but any sort of wrap should work
- When rolling the wraps use a piece of tin foil to get a real tight roll, think of watching Chipotle employees wrap up your burrito 😉
- 2 cans tuna, chilled
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce, plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sriracha, plus more for taste
- 1/2 cup white rice, like basmati or jasmine
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 1 large carrot
- 4 large spinach wraps
- Add rice along with 1 cup cold water to a small saucepan. Cover and place on high heat. Once rice is at a rolling boil switch heat to lowest setting. Keep lid on! Let rice cook for 10 minutes.
- Once rice is cooked transfer to a bowl. Toss with rice vinegar. Cover and place in refrigerator to cool down.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl mix together tuna, soy sauce, ginger, and sriracha.
- Peel the cucumber, avocado, and carrot & cut into small matchsticks.
- Once everything is ready and the rice is generally cool place one of the spinach wraps on a square piece of tin foil.
- Line the ingredients one by one on the wrap, add more sriracha here if preferred.
- Roll the wrap up, using the tin foil to keep it tight as you roll. Repeat with the remaining wraps.
- Serve with additional soy sauce.
Peace & Love
The Schmidty Wife
P.S. Did you make your own Spicy Tuna ‘Sushi’ Wrap? I would love to see and hear what you think! Comment below and share your pictures on social media with the hashtag #theschmidtywife