Love home fries but hate the soaking and frying on the stovetop? Well these Air Fryer Home Fries are the answer! Using baby potatoes helps skip the soaking process and using the air fryer cuts down on oil and work! These are truly the best breakfast potatoes.
This post may contain Affiliate Links.
Home Fries in the Air Fryer
I love home fries and one of the first great uses I found for my air fryer when I bought it was that it makes amazing home fries.
It was little after that I was at a cute little diner with my husband for breakfast when they served us home fries that were baby potatoes. Well you know from there I just had to try it!
The best part I discovered by using the baby potatoes I could totally skip the soak in an ice bath that you need to do for regular potatoes and they would still be perfect crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
It also helps that most all baby potatoes come pre-washed, so no scrubbing peeling is also a plus. A quick half of each potato and you are almost all the way done with the prep.
From there I went on to work on a spice blend that could give the potatoes the perfect flavor. I wanted them to be able to pair well with eggs and bacon so I went with a savory mixture of salt, garlic & onion powder, dried parsley, and paprika.
These breakfast potatoes are great because they really only take about 5 minutes to put together and have in the air fryer. Leaving plenty of time and space to get the rest of breakfast done.
This recipe uses an air fryer. It is a fairly simple recipe and should work for any size and type of air fryer.
If you are still looking to purchase an air fryer I use the Ninja Air Fryer XL that I would definitely recommend.
- Baby Potatoes – The trick to no soaking, you can choose any variety you wish here, although I did test a bunch of different varieties and found that the baby gold worked best and that those cute purples ones didn’t work very well at all, the red were about in the middle. So while you can use any kind I recommend the baby golds.
- Olive Oil – I tested different amount of oil quite a bit and found that although the potatoes still got done with less oil they didn’t have that “home fry” flavor, I found 1 tablespoon to be a good balance and still less than if you fired them on the stovetop.
- Kosher Salt – I always recommend cooking with kosher salt, as it dissolves into food better than table salt. If you only have table salt available use half the amount. (If using sea salt use the same amount as kosher salt).
- Garlic Powder, Dried Parsley, Onion Powder, & Paprika – A small mixture of these spices makes up the seasonings for the home fries. Nice and savory without being overpowering.
Preheat air fryer to 390º F. You will want to make sure your air fryer preheats a minimum of 3 minutes.
Half the potatoes and add to a mixing bowl.
Add the oil to the potatoes and toss to combine.
Combine the salt, garlic powder, parsley, onion powder, and paprika. Sprinkle the seasoning mixture over the oiled potatoes. Toss to coat.
Add the poatoes to the air fryer basket. Cook for 18 minutes at 390º F, tossing every 4 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tips, Tricks, & Questions
- Feel free to add diced onions and bell pepper to make a ‘Potatoes O’Brien’ version of home fries
- You can use the same method and change up the seasoning if you wish, I tried homemade ranch seasoning one morning, it was really good!
Looking to make it a meal?
Pair these home fries with some of my other breakfast recipes for a complete meal:
- Easy Avocado Breakfast Sandwich
- Pancakes From Scratch
- Creamy & Healthy Cottage Cheese Scrambled Eggs
- Sheet Pan Egg in a Hole
You might also like:
- 1.5 pounds baby potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat air fryer to 390º F.
- Half potatoes and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add the oil to the potatoes and toss to combine.
- Combine the salt, garlic powder, parsley, onion powder, and paprika. Sprinkle over the potatoes. Toss to coat.
- Add the poatoes to the air fryer basket. Cook for 18 minutes at 390º F, tossing every 4 to 5 minutes.
If you aren't using kosher salt but table salt instead only use 1/2 teaspoon. If using sea salt keep the measurment at 1 teaspoon.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1/4 the dish
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 191Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 333mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
Nutritional data is automated, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.