Tender and delicious these Baked Honey Mustard Chicken Breasts only take minutes to prep. Perfect as a main dish, on a salad, or even meal prepping, the possibilities are endless!
This post may contain Affiliate Links.
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
A great meal to add to you repertoire, tender and juicy chicken breasts baked with sweet and savory homemade honey mustard sauce.
This baked chicken is perfectly paired with some roasted or steamed veggies for a perfectly balanced dinner that is just bursting with flavor.
The chicken is gently pounded so that you get a perfectly juicy result.
A quick sauce is made from two different types of mustards and of course honey.
Then baked together the result is a delicious dinner!
What You Need
This recipe doesn’t call for anything crazy for supplies you will need:
- 9×13 Baking Dish – or similar sized baking dish
- Measuring Spoons & Cups
- Meat Tenderizer – or rolling pin or heavy pan, honestly I find that using my heavy marble rolling pin works best for tenderizing chicken, no need to buy a tenderizer
- Spoon or Spatula – something small to get the sauce all out of the bowl on to the chicken
- Aluminum Foil – for covering the chicken to rest once it is out of the oven
- Meat Thermometer – piece of mind that the chicken has hit 165ºF
- Other Typical Kitchen Items – like knifes, small bowls, ect.
- Olive Oil – A little goes into the sauce to not only to help the flavor but to also ensure that the chicken doesn’t stick to the dish or each other.
- Honey – Obviously the first part of honey mustard
- Whole Grain Mustard & Dijon Mustard – A good balance of two type of mustards really helps the sauce come together. The whole grain gives a more upfront mustard flavor while the dijon brings a creaminess into the sauce.
- Salt – I always recommend using kosher salt when cooking due to the structure the salt blends into the food better, if you don’t have kosher salt sea salt also works well!
- Garlic – If you like a good garlic presence then I suggest you use freshly minced garlic. If too much garlic bothers you feel free to half the minced garlic amount.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts – 4 trimmed chicken breasts, you will be pounding them to get them extra juicy. See my Tips, Tricks, and Questions section to read about how I pick out my chicken for this recipe.
- Fresh Thyme (optional) – If available a toss of a few fresh spring of thyme will amplify this recipe!
For a complete detailed list of the ingredients continue towards the bottom of the page.
How to make Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
Preheat oven to 400º F.
Add oil, honey mustards, salt, garlic together in a bowl.
Add the chicken breasts in between two sheets of plastic wrap on top of a cutting board. Pound the chicken gently until about 1 inch thickness using a meat tenderizer, rolling pin, or heavy pan.
Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish. Evenly add the honey mustard sauce over top the chicken breasts. Add the thyme to the dish around the chicken.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake 15 minutes covered. 10 minutes uncovered until temp reaches 165º F. Cover and Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
Tips, Tricks, & Questions
Choosing and Buying Chicken Breasts
The size of chicken breasts can vary greatly at the store. A typical pack of chicken breasts at any given grocery store can contain anywhere from 2 large chicken breasts weighing 2 pounds to 4 smaller chicken breasts weighing 2 pounds. This difference has a lot to do with what brands and if it is organic/natural or not. Now I recommend buying natural chicken breasts that are naturally about 4 breasts in a 2 pound package (this won’t be exact but close). Now if this isn’t an option for you and you can only find large chicken breasts, no sweat! To keep the chicken properly portioned you can butterfly-cut your chicken breasts in half. Typically when I am at the grocery store for a recipe like this I look for a 2-ish pound package of breasts with 4 small breasts, if I can’t find that I look for 2 large chicken breasts I can cut in half to make 4.
What to Serve with Honey Mustard Chicken
Typically at our house I will serve it with a side salad and a vegetable side. Here are some of the recipes I use:
- Baked Sweet Potato Wedges
- Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Pressure Cooker Corn on the Cob
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Simple Spinach Salad
- Warm Balsamic Brussel Sprout Salad
If you like this Baked Honey Mustard Chicken you might also like:
- Easy Pesto Chicken Bake
- Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake
- Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Healthy Spinach Artichoke Chicken Bake
- One Dish Greek Chicken Bake
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, (4 trimmed chicken breasts)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Add oil, honey, mustards, salt, and minced garlic together in a bowl.
- Over top a cutting board add the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap. Pound the chicken gently with a meat tenterizer, rolling pin, or heavy pan until about 1 inch thickness.
- Remove the chicken from the plastic wrap and place the chicken breasts in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Evenly add the honey mustard sauce over top the chicken breasts. Add the thyme to the dish around the chicken.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 15 minutes covered. Uncover and bake another 10 minutes uncovered. The chicken will be done when it hits an internal temperature of 165º F. Cover and let rest 5 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 chicken breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 483Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 193mgSodium: 721mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 71g
Nutritional data is automated, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.
Peace & Love
Lauren, The Schmidty Wife