Hello there! My name is Emeline Hoblick, otherwise known as the sister of the fabulous Schmidty Wife! As followers of this blog may well know, my sister Lauren is having a baby and needs a quick break from blogging for family time. In the meantime, welcome to SISTER FOOD BLOG TAKEOVER 2018. Friends (I think we’re friends now), I am so excited to be guest hosting this blog. My sister is such a talented cook and I hope I can do the blog justice! Today we are making Chicken and Shrimp Paella!
Just a little background about me. I was born and raised in Minnesota, but over three years ago, I made a move to Pierre, South Dakota to take a job. Not long after I moved to South Dakota is when I met my husband Dan. Dan had also moved to Pierre to take a job and is originally from Ohio.
After a little more than one year of marriage, let’s just say that I’ve learned how different Dan’s go-to recipes are from mine. And boy has that made it interesting! When I first started thinking about recipe ideas for the blog, I had a few ideas in mind with the number one goal of keeping it simple. I’m sure I’m not the only one here that needs the majority of dinners to be on a pretty quick timetable. My husband and I are like senior citizens, we love to eat dinner around 5:30 so most of the time, I find recipes that don’t take too long.
Cut to today’s recipe! Chicken and Shrimp Paella.
This recipe is slight twist on are recipe from Dan’s grandma’s recipe that is hand-written in his recipe book. It’s glorious spicy one-pan dish that comes together in just half an hour. In case you want to pair this recipe with an adult beverage, I believe this recipe pairs lovely with a dry rosé.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth (24 oz)
- 2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes with mild green chilies (drained)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pounds small shrimp, cleaned
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce*
- ¼ cup chopped parsley (optional)
- Chop chicken into bite size pieces. Heat up a large pot over medium high heat and add the olive oil. Add chicken to the pot and sauté for 5 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to pot, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes or until the onions are browned and translucent.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the red and green bell pepper and simmer covered for another 5 minutes or until rice is cooked tender.
- Add chicken and shrimp and cook for one minute, then cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in hot sauce and parsley. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
*use more or less depending on how spicy you want the dish
Nutritional data is automated, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 401.75Total Fat: 7.13gSaturated Fat: 1.39gSodium: 722.99mgCarbohydrates: 38.73gFiber: 4.19gSugar: 5.72gProtein: 43.6g
Emeline – Sister Takeover 2018
Please note that my links above may be affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. I recommend them because they are helpful, and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products.