Old fashioned sugar cookies perfect for cookie cutters just the way grandma used to make them! These cookies are easy to put together and hold their shape, perfect for decorating!
Links may be affiliate links.
Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
There are basically two trains of thought when it comes to sugar cookies, doughs you can cut out & they maintain their shape and doughs you can’t. I love both kinds but it is important to choose the right one depending on what your end goal is with your sugar cookie.
If you are looking for the perfect sugar cookie to decorate this is your cookie. Cutout Sugar Cookies are the quintessential cookie in my book and this recipe is about as basic as you can get, and sometimes isn’t that all we want? (Unless you are looking for more exciting cookies then check out Grandma’s Oatmeal Triblys or my Gluten Free Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies) These cookies are perfect for every occasion, whether its Christmas time, back-to-school, or a birthday party these cookies can be shaped and decorated however you wish. So let’s get down to how easy these cookies are.
These cookies are only a few short steps and they only use one bowl!
You mix together shortening, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and milk until creamy.
Add in salt, baking powder, & flour and mix until a dough forms.
And like most sugar cookies these require a chilling period. Place the dough in refrigerator for at least 1 hour or as long as overnight.
They are then rolled out, cut into whatever shapes you prefer, and only baked for 7 minutes.
So simple, so whether you need an extra sweet for a party or want some mother daughter bonding time these cookies are the way to go. They can then be decorated however you wish, I tend to use royal icing because I like my icing to harden on top of my cookies. Alternatively you can sprinkle plain or colorful sugar on the cookies before they go into the oven giving them a beautiful sugar topping complete when they come out of the oven.
So give Cutout Sugar Cookies a try and you won’t be disappointed.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- In a large bowl mix together shortening, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and milk until creamy and smooth.
- Add salt and baking powder, mix in. Add flour and mix in until dough forms.
- Create a ball with the dough and cover/wrap up. Place dough in refridrator for at least 1 hour or as long as overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375º F and line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out dough. Cut into shapes. Re-roll dough and continue cutting out shapes until all dough has been used.
- Place dough cutouts on the lined cookie sheets at least 1 inch apart. Bake (in batches if necessary) for 7-8 minutes until very bottom of the edges of the cookies turn a light golden brown.
- Let rest on cookie sheet for 1 minute before transferring to a wire cooling rake. Decorate your cookies as wanted.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 96Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 55mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g
Nutritional data is automated, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.
If you enjoyed this recipe or any of my others let me know by using #theschmidtywife on social media!
Peace & Love
Lauren, The Schmidty Wife
Sign up for recipes straight to your inbox!