Ground Turkey Taco Soup is packed with lean ground turkey, aromatic spices, veggies, and two kinds of beans. This soup promises a burst of Mexican-inspired flavors in every spoonful.
This post may contain Affiliate Links.
Easy Ground Turkey Taco Soup
One can never have too many taco recipes or too many soup recipes… and this covers both of those things.
This easy to make taco soup with ground turkey is an easy weeknight option featuring tummy filling ingredients like beans and veggies.
A little bit like a quick turkey chili this soup is meant to be garnished with all of your favorite taco toppings. At my house we even eat it straight out of the bowls with tortilla chips!
This soup has pretty much taken over taco night during soup season, so warm and comforting but with simple ingredients so it still has the ease of making tacos.
- Ground Turkey – You can use whatever fat content here. I tend to use a higher fat content for my ground turkey because it is naturally leaner than other ground meats.
- Yellow Onion – I like the mildness of a yellow onion but you can substitute a white or red onion.
- Green Bell Pepper – Like the onion I prefer the flavor of a green bell pepper but you could use a different color bell pepper of even a poblano pepper instead.
- Taco Seasoning – Make your own Homemade Taco Seasoning or buy some t the store.
- Kidney Beans – If you are looking to sub out the kidney beans try making this with pinto beans instead.
- Black Beans – I feel a can of black beans are a must here, leave the juices with the beans in the soup for extra flavor.
- Tomato Sauce – While testing this soup I liked the flavor and texture of tomato sauce in this soup over using a tomato paste, although if you really like the tomato flavor you could add a little tomato paste as well.
- Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes – If you can’t find the fire roasted diced tomatoes, no worry use the plain variety.
- Frozen Corn – I prefer the taste and texture of frozen corn over canned corn but if you want to use canned corn instead use a 14.oz can drained and rinsed well.
- Chicken Broth – Feel free to use store bought or homemade.
- Garnishes – Shredded Cheddar, Sour Cream, Greek Yogurt, Cilantro, Lime Wedges, Green Onions, and/or Tortilla Chips/Strips
For a complete detailed list of the ingredients continue towards the bottom of the page.
Sauté Ground Turkey, Onion, and Bell Pepper: Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey, diced pepper, and diced onion. Cook for 5-6 minutes, crumble the turkey, and drain excess fat.
Season and Combine Ingredients: Stir in taco seasoning. Add kidney beans, black beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, corn, and broth. Turn stovetop to high and cover the pot.
Simmer and Finish: Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to medium heat. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to bowls.
Garnish and Serve: Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro leaves, tortilla chips, and a squeeze of lime juice. Serve hot and enjoy!
tips, tricks and questions
Can I use ground beef instead of turkey?
Absolutely! Ground beef works wonderfully in this recipe, offering a different depth of flavor.
Are there any other toppings I can use?
Feel free to get creative with your favorite toppings. Avocado slices, fresh tomatoes, or a drizzle of hot sauce can add extra flair.
How can I make this soup spicier?
To give this soup some heat try adding more chili powder, adding green chiles, or using hot taco seasoning for an extra kick.
Keep any leftover in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 to 3 days. This is also a lovely soup to freeze for later!
Can I make this in the Slow Cooker or the Instant Pot?
For the Slow Cooker, simply brown the ground turkey in a skillet, drain, and add it to the crockpot with the remainder of the ingredients. Let it simmer about 7 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
For the Instant Pot taco soup, on sauté mode cook the ground turkey, onion, and green bell pepper until softened and little pink remains. Add the remaining ingredients, add the lid and switch to pressure cook/manual. Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes and let the steam natural release for 10 minutes.
If you like this Ground Turkey Taco Soup Recipe you might also like these other ground turkey recipes:
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 can (15.5 oz) kidney beans
- 1 can (15.5 oz) black beans
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 4 cups (32 oz) chicken broth
- shredded cheddar
- sour cream
- lime wedge
- tortilla chips/strips
- Add the ground turkey, diced pepper, and diced onion to a pot over medium-high heat, crumble and cook 5-6 minutes. Drain.
- Add and stir in the taco seasoning. Stir in the kidney beans, black beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, corn, and broth. Turn the stovetop to high and cover the pot.
- When the soup reaches a boil reduce the heat to medium and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to bowls. Garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro leaves, tortilla chips and lime juice.
You can use regular or petite diced tomatoes if you don't have the fire roasted variety.
Serving Size:2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 505Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 1028mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 8gSugar: 18gProtein: 36g
Nutritional data is automated and might not be 100% accurate, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.