This one bowl Rhubarb Coffee Cake is made with yogurt for an ultra moist and delicious cake. Perfect with a cup of coffee for brunch or dessert this is the perfect recipe to make while rhubarb is fresh in the spring.
This post may contain Affiliate Links.
This blog post was updated 5/25/23 with new photos, recipe remains the same.
Rhubarb Coffee Cake Recipe
During late spring, rhubarb is everywhere. It is available at every farmer’s market, and every garden seems to be full of it. Growing up, my yard was always full of rhubarb, and my mother had a number of recipes for it. Today, I am sharing a slight variation on my favorite of those recipes, Rhubarb Yogurt Coffee Cake.
This cake is simple, with simple ingredients. Yogurt is creamed together with sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Flour, salt, and baking soda are mixed in and the rhubarb is added. The cake is then topped with delicious brown sugar and cinnamon. Baked for 40 minutes this delicious coffee cake ready to enjoy with a cup of hot joe.
This coffee cake works perfect for a brunch, breakfast, or after a cookout. I think (like with most coffee cakes) it is best accompanied with a warm cup of coffee.
So if your yard is full of rhubarb or rhubarb is overflowing from every stand at the farmers market grab a few stalks and make this delicious Rhubarb Yogurt Coffee Cake! And if you have more rhubarb left trying making this delicious Rhubarb Crumble.
And if the rhubarb in your freezer has seemed to run out, switch to fall flavors and make this pumpkin streusel coffee cake.
- Granulated Sugar – Granulated or white sugar will go into the cake while the brown sugar will go on top of the cake.
- Plain Yogurt – Full fat will work best but any plain yogurt should work, including greek yogurt.
- Egg – Just one egg for this cake.
- Vanilla Extract – For flavoring the cake.
- All Purpose Flour – Regular all-purpose flour for this easy cake.
- Baking Soda – To give the cake lift.
- Salt – Kosher, sea salt, or table salt will work in this recipe.
- Rhubarb – The star of the dish!
- Brown Sugar – I like to use light brown sugar.
- Ground Cinnamon – And cinnamon for flavoring the top.
For a complete detailed list of the ingredients continue towards the bottom of the page.
You can use fresh or previously frozen rhubarb.
Preheat the oven to 375º F. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch pan.
In a large bowl add the granulated sugar, yogurt, egg, and vanilla. Mix together until creamy.
Add the flour, baking soda, and salt to the bowl, stir together to form a batter. Don’t overmix, it’s okay if it is a little lumpy.
Stir in rhubarb.
Pour the batter into the 9×13 pan.
In a small bowl combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle mixture evenly over top of the cake batter.
Bake uncovered for 40 minutes.
tips, tricks and questions
I use plain yogurt but plain greek yogurt or sour cream should work just as well
Either light or dark brown sugar would work well for the topping
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl add granulated sugar, yogurt, egg, and vanilla. Mix together until creamy.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt to the bowl, stir together to form a batter.
- Stir in rhubarb.
- Pour into the 9x13 pan.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle mixture evenly over top of the cake batter.
- Bake uncovered 40 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 218mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 1gSugar: 33gProtein: 3g
Nutritional data is automated, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.