During the late spring doesn’t rhubarb seem to be absolutely everywhere? Walking throughout the early farmer markets of the season every stand has some. Everybody’s gardens seem to be full of rhubarb. Growing up, our yard was always full of rhubarb and my mom had a ton of recipes for that rhubarb. Today I am sharing a slight twist on my favorite of those recipes, Rhubarb Yogurt Coffee Cake.
This cake is simple, with simple ingredients. Yogurt is creamed together with sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Flour, salt, and baking soda are mixed in and the rhubarb is added. The cake is then topped with delicious brown sugar and cinnamon. Baked for 40-45 minutes you have a delicious coffee cake ready to enjoy with a cup of hot joe.
This coffee cake works perfect for a brunch, breakfast, or after a cookout. I think (like with most coffee cakes) it is best accompanied with a warm cup of coffee.
So next time your yard is full of rhubarb or rhubarb is overflowing from every stand at the farmers market grab a few stalks and make this delicious Rhubarb Yogurt Coffee Cake.
TIPS & TRICKS:
- Using fresh rhubarb works best but frozen rhubarb can work too
- Either light or dark brown sugar would work well for the topping
- I use plain yogurt but plain greek yogurt should work just as well
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl add granulated sugar, yogurt, egg, and vanilla. Mix together until creamy.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt to the bowl, stir together to form a batter.
- Stir in rhubarb.
- Pour into the 9x13 pan.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle mixture evenly over top of the cake batter.
- Bake uncovered 40-45 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 218mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 1gSugar: 33gProtein: 3g
Nutritional data is automated, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.
If you enjoyed this Recipe or any of my others let me know by using #theschmidtywife on social media!
And make sure you are following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for all the latest recipes!
Peace & Love
Lauren, The Schmidty Wife
Please note that my links above may be affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. I recommend them because they are helpful, and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products.