Today I have a super fast and easy dinner that looks waaay fancier than it actually is. Simple Shrimp & Cauliflower Mash, it takes about 20 minutes to make and is full of healthy ingredients.
So it is officially Lent now which means my attempt to cook more seafood turns into trips to McDonalds for Filet-O-Fish sandwiches. I totally wish I was kidding but I am not. For 2 reasons this happens. Cooking a lot of seafood is not in my comfort area, I grew up in Minnesota so unless you are talking freshly caught lake fish, seafood was not really a thing. The second reason is I secretly love Filet-O-Fish sandwiches. I honestly think the fish isn’t that bad but more important then that it brings up memories of Friday nights during Lent in my Catholic family.
Reminiscing about Friday nights in early spring… its only about 60º F but everyone is wearing shorts, everything outside is dirty and full of sand because the street sweepers haven’t cleaned up the snow sand yet, little buds are popping from trees, my nose won’t stop running…. ahh memories. My family meets up at our local McDonalds after our individual practices/activities. 5 Fish-O-Filets and 5 medium fries is the order and we sit down reflect on the week, laugh, tease each other, say hi to every single person that comes in because lets face it between everyone in my family we know them all. Isn’t it funny how the little things like Friday night Fish-O-Filets can become such big memories.
Anyways… not because it is Lent, but in general I really want to become more comfortable with seafood especially now that I live a short 10 minute drive from the Atlantic Ocean! So watch out for some fishy recipes coming at ya 😉 Seafood is in abundance here so my goal is to take advantage of that. I have chosen to start with shrimp because lets face it, it is relatively easy, and when I say relatively like it is so simple. So I present Simple Shrimp & Cauliflower Mash.
I wanted to take this classic and make it as simple as I could. Quick and easy Cauliflower Mash, 4 ingredients and ready in under 2o minutes. The Shrimp even easier, sprinkled with simple spices and cooked in a well oiled pan for 6 minutes, thats right 6 minutes! Can you say dinner in 20? Because this meal can 🙂 In addition my Sautéed Kale with Bacon goes great with this, a recipe just as fast and simple, and if you are going meatless forgo the bacon (makes it even easier, I am on a roll!) or this would also be good with any number of simple side salads. Whatever direction you take with it I hope you enjoy the simplicity and quickness that Simple Shrimp & Cauliflower Mash dishes out!
for the Cauliflower Mash:
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
for the Shrimp:
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- dash of cayenne
- pinch of salt
for the Cauliflower Mash:
- Remove stem and leaves from cauliflower and chop into large florets.
- Add cauliflower, broth, garlic, and salt & pepper to taste to a large pot (it's okay that the broth doesn't cover all of the cauliflower). Cover and cook over medium-high for 10-15 minutes until the cauliflower is soft.
- Pour the contents of the pot into a blender* or food processor. Pulse for 8-10 seconds until everything is blended together. Transfer back into the pot and stir in the cheese.
For the Shrimp:
- While cauliflower is cooking, make sure the shrimp is rinsed off and pat dry with a paper towel.
- On a clean plate sprinkle all of the spices onto the shrimp. Give the shrimp a toss to cover.
- Over medium heat add the olive oil to a large skillet. Once the skillet and olive oil is hot add the shrimp forming a single layer.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Flip all of the shrimp and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Spread cauliflower mash onto a plate and top with your shrimp! Enjoy!
*if using a stand blender leave room for the steam to come out, leave the lid off or leave the pour spout open OR use an immersion blender
Inspired by Spicy Shrimp with Cauliflower Mash and Garlic Kale by Pinch of Yum.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 221mgSodium: 1978mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 8gSugar: 8gProtein: 37g
Nutritional data is automated, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.
If you enjoyed this Recipe or any of my others let me know by using #theschmidtywife on social media!
Peace & Love
Lauren, The Schmidty Wife
Please note that my links above may be affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. I recommend them because they are helpful, and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products.