Looking for the perfect summer salad? Look no further, I have this fresh Summer Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe bursting with fun just for you. Romaine and spinach are topped with grilled chicken, three different berries, and a easy homemade balsamic vinaigrette. You’ll have this Mixed Berry Salad on regular rotation all summer long!
Links may be affiliate links.
Summer Berry Salad Recipe
I don’t know about you but salads come in regular rotation in our house once the weather becomes nice. Nothing is better than a bunch of fresh produce topped with a grilled protein, right!? So this fantastic summer berry salad fills all of those needs.
Chicken breast are grilled and fresh lettuce and berries are quickly prepped and then the salad is garnished with feta cheese and almonds. A quick strawberry balsamic vinaigrette dressing is made and boom you have yourself the perfect summer meal!
What do I need to make a Triple Berry Salad?
For starters you will want some chicken breasts to grill, or you could even cheat if you want (I won’t tell) and use pre-cooked/pre-grilled chicken for topping your salad! In my recipe I use 2 chicken breasts for 4 servings to keep the chicken a proper portion size but feel free to make each serving there own chicken breast!
The salad base is made up of both romaine and spinach, now you don’t have to use both, you could use one or the other but the texture and tase of the combination of the two is what I thought was best! I use one full head of romaine (if you are just using the hearts, use two) and a 5oz bag of baby spinach. I like to roughly chop both of the lettuce’s to make it easier to eat.
Now for the berries! I use A LOT of berries in this recipe, I mean this is a berry salad… plus they are everyones favorite part of this salad. This nice thing is there isn’t a ton of prep involved, I recommend quarter cutting the strawberries to make them bite size, otherwise the others you just toss on!
And finally the garnishes. For a good crunch you will want roasted and salted almonds preferably, if you have sliced that works best but you can use whole or even chop up the whole almonds yourself! And lastly feta cheese, a quick sprinkle of tangy feta is what rounds out this salad!
How to make Berry Salad with Chicken
You’ll start by grilling your chicken. Preheat the grill to high heat and lightly grease grilling rack. Place your chicken breasts over direct heat and grill 5 minutes. Flip chicken and grill another 5 minutes or until chicken has an internal temperature of 165ºF (time varies based on size of chicken). Cover and rest 5 minutes, this gives the chicken breast a chance to retain all of the juices. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and slice into strips for topping the salad.
Next to make the Vinaigrette. Add 3 strawberries, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mustard, and salt to a blender. A single serving size blender works perfect for this or what I do is put everything in a mason jar and use my immersion blender instead of using the big stand blender. Any way you choose, blend until smooth consistency.
To build the salad add spinach, romaine, and vinaigrette in a large bowl. Toss together to coat in the dressing. Divide lettuce between 4 serving dishes.
Divide the chicken slices and berries between the 4 dishes. Garnish with almonds and cheese crumbles. Serve immediately!
TIPS & TRICKS:
• I like to sometimes add a sliced avocado to this salad when I have it available
• goat cheese would also be a substitute for the feta cheese
You might also like:
- Crunchy Asian Chopped Chicken Salad
- Easy Panzanella Salad with Grilled Chicken
- Epic Grilled Chicken Sandwich Board
- Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad with Strawberries
- Blackberry Bourbon Smash
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 pound strawberries, quarter cut
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1/2 pint blackberries
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds (or sliced)
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1 head romaine, chopped
- 5oz baby spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard*
- dash salt
- To Grill Chicken: Preheat grill to high heat and lightly grease grilling rack. Place chicken over direct heat and grill 5 minutes. Flip chicken and grill another 5 minutes or until chicken has an internal temperature of 165ºF (time varies based on size of chicken). Cover and rest 5 minutes. Trasfer to a cutting board and slice into strips.
- To Make Vinaigrette: Add 3 strawberries, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mustard, and salt to a blender**. Blend until smooth consisteny.
- To build the salad add spinach, romaine, and vinaigrette in a large bowl, toss together to coat in the dressing. Divide lettuce between 4 serving dishes.
- Divide the chicken slices and berries between the 4 dishes. Garnish with almonds and cheese crumbles. Serve immediately.
*regular mustard works fine here too
**a single serving size blender works perfect for this or I just put everything in a mason jar and use my immersion blender instead of using the big stand blender
I use 2 chicken breasts for proper portion size, feel free to make 4 chicken breasts, one for each person if that fits you and your family's needs.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 490Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 335mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 12gSugar: 20gProtein: 28g
Nutritional data is automated, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.
Peace & Love
Lauren, The Schmidty Wife