Looking for great black bean taco meat? These Black Bean Quinoa Tacos are easy to make, plant-based, and taste delicious wrapped up inside a tortilla!
This post may contain Affiliate Links.
Black Bean Taco Recipe
Over the years I have been playing with different black bean taco recipes. Once I mixed the black beans with quinoa to make the meat base I knew I had a winner.
The black beans and quinoa together make a great texture combo that soaks up all the taco seasoning and is hearty to really make you feel full and focused.
So when you are ready to give your family an awesome plant-based taco option, look no further you have found it!
The quinoa gets cooked with an onion and then gets mixed with the black beans and taco seasoning and simmered down to make a great vegan taco meat.
It is perfect for Taco Tuesday, Meatless Monday, Meal Prep, and more!
- Onion – I have been using a yellow onion for the flavor but a white or even red onion will totally work in this recipe.
- Oil – Olive oil or any neutral oil like avocado or vegetable oil.
- Quinoa – You can use the plain or red or tricolored quinoa.
- Black Beans – Two cans, you can drain the extra liquid but in this recipe there is no need to rinse them unless you really want to.
- Taco Seasoning – I highly recommend using my Homemade Taco Seasoning, it has no preservatives in it like the store bought varieties will!
For a complete detailed list of the ingredients continue towards the bottom of the page.
Start by heating a skillet (that has a lid) over medium-high heat add oil and diced onion. Cook 2-3 minutes or until beginning to tender.
Add to the skillet the quinoa and 1 cup of water, stir. Cover and reduce to low, cook for 10 minutes.
Now uncover and add the black beans, taco seasoning, and 1 more cup of water. Bring back to medium-high heat. Stir occasionally until the mixture thickens and most of the liquid is gone but it is still saucy, about 10 to 15 minutes.
How to Serve Black Bean and Quinoa Tacos
I like to serve these tacos with corn tortillas, although you can certainly use flour tortillas! Then as I always says, with tacos the more garnishes the better:
to keep it vegan…
- Lime Wedges
- Pickled Red Onions
- Pico de Gallo
- Hot Sauce
- Homemade Restaurant Style Salsa
but otherwise for vegetarian friendly feel free to add:
- Sour Cream/Greek Yogurt
- Greek Yogurt Southwest Sauce
Tips, Tricks, and Questions
Looking for a few Tweaks? Try these:
- Make it spicier! Add in more heat! Add a diced jalapeño with the onions, add in crushed red pepper flakes with the taco seasoning, add some splashes of hot sauce!
- Add in more aromatics! Add in minced garlic or tomato paste.
- Make it more hearty! Add in corn kernels, diced tomatoes, or chunks of sweet potato.
TIP: This black bean taco meat reheats really well!
If you like these Black Bean Quinoa Tacos you might enjoy some of my other meatless meals:
- Red Lentil Tacos
- Black Bean Nachos
- Oven Baked Falafel
- Three Bean Vegetarian Chili
- One-Pot Black Bean Taco Spaghetti
- Slow Cooker Black Bean Tortilla Soup
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 2 14-ounce cans black beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Over medium-high heat add oil and diced onion. Cook 3 minutes or until beginning to tender.
- Add quinoa and 1 cup water, stir. Cover and reduce to low, cook 10 minutes.
- Uncover. Add black beans, taco seasoning, and 1 cup water. Bring to medium-high heat. Stir occasionally until the mixture thickens, most of the liquid is gone, and the mixture is saucy about 10 to 15 minutes. Serve.
This recipe can easily be halved but watch cooking times, it might take less time to cook.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 263Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1072mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 15gSugar: 2gProtein: 14g
Nutritional data is automated, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.
Peace & Love
Lauren, The Schmidty Wife