So my husband Matt and I were in a vicious fight the other morning… about the rankings of everyone’s favorite breakfasts foods; pancakes, waffles, and french toast. In my opinion the order goes waffles, pancakes, and then french toast, in Matt’s wrong opinion he said french toast, pancakes, and the waffles. We joked about how all the marriage prep classes should make you rank them before you get married to know how compatible you really are. Jokes aside we end up having pancakes in our house most often, because they are so stinking easy to make, and because let’s face it they are delicious. So today I am sharing with you the recipe I have worked a really long time on developing to make them as perfect as I could, I introduce to you my Pancakes From Scratch.
Pancakes from scratch are the most perfect thing to make on a Saturday morning. The ingredients are simple and no one can resist them. They go great with bacon and eggs, topped with maple syrup and butter along with a warm cup of coffee. These pancakes are also nice and thick so they are perfect for add ins if you wish, they would be great with a small hand full of chocolate chips or blueberries. So I wish you a happy weekend and delicious pancakes 😉
TIPS & TRICKS:
- If you don’t have an electric griddle yet, I highly recommend getting one, it makes breakfast ten times easier and there are tons of other uses like large batches of grilled cheeses or faster tortilla making, here is the one I have:
- I love using bacon grease to grease my griddle, it makes the pancakes so golden and crispy. The easiest way to do this is by making bacon on the griddle before I make the pancakes.
- Make sure you let the batter rest before making the pancakes, it gives it time for the baking powder to do its job which makes the pancakes nice and fluffy
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg, milk, and butter.
- Slowly mix the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Whisk together until combined but do not over whisk, some lumps are completely normal.
- Let pancake batter rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a griddle (or skillet) to medium heat. (I set my electric griddle to about 325º F.)
- Lightly grease the griddle. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup measure out the pancake batter and add to griddle, spreading slightly and gently into a circle. Repeat with remaining pancakes (I do mine in 2 batches).
- Cook pancakes about 2-3 minutes on each side, but more importantly you will want to flip your pancake when you see bubbles starting to pop in the center of each pancake.
- Once pancakes are beautifully golden brown serve immediately (with butter and maple syrup).
Peace & Love
The Schmidty Wife
Please note that my links above may be affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. I’ve used all the products, and recommend them because they are helpful, and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products.