A refreshing summer cocktail starring bourbon, blackberries, and basil. With fresh berries and sweet bourbon over ice this is a delicious Blackberry Cocktail you’ll want to make all the time!
This post may contain Affiliate Links.
Refreshing Blackberry Bourbon Cocktail
Smashes are such a quintessential summer beverage. Nothing says ‘relaxing’ like a drink muddled with fresh fruit on a warm day!
For this drink I took one of my favorite summer flavors the blackberry and mixed it with one of my favorite alcohol’s bourbon.
I wanted to keep this drink simple so it has simple ingredients and can be made fast so you can get to enjoying your time faster.
So what do you need to make a bourbon smash? Let’s Look:
When mixing cocktails there are a couple tools that make it a lot easier, BUT even if you don’t have them there are other things in your kitchen that you can use instead:
- Cocktail Shaker: This piece of equipment is made to do exactly as it is titled, you will mix the drink together in the shaker and then shake it over ice to chill it. If you don’t have one yet you can grab one like this Stainless Steel Cocktail Shaker off of Amazon OR you can just use something as simple with a jar with a lid like a mason jar from your kitchen
- Muddler: A muddler is tool specifically made for you guessed it, muddling things. Usually its nothing more than a sturdy trowel with a end cap used for breaking down whatever you are muddling. Grab one off of Amazon (like this one) or like I have done many times just use a wooden spoon or end of a rolling pin!
- Jigger: (AKA double sided shot glass) When making cocktails it is handy to have one of these because it makes it so easy to measure out the ounces, they are super inexpensive and are a handy tool to have around when making drinks, if you don’t have one a regular shot glass can be used! (This one on Amazon has great ratings!)
If you don’t have any of these items yet keep a look out for a full bar set, a lot of stores will sell kits with all of these things included! (Like this popular one on Amazon)
Now let’s make that drink!
So go grab:
Bourbon: Bourbon is perfect for this drink because of the spirit’s slight sweetness opposed to whiskey (all bourbon’s are whiskey but not all whiskey’s are bourbon). I really enjoyed this drink with Four Roses Small Batch (not an AD just a fan)
Simple Syrup: Need some simple syrup? It could not be easier to make! Simply combine 1 cup water and 1 cup granulated sugar in a sauce pan. Heat until simmering and all of the sugar has dissolved. Cool and transfer to an airtight container. Keep in the refrigerator. (Makes about 2 cups)
Blackberries: The recipe calls for exactly 1/4 cup, plus you will want a few for garnishing, so you will probably want to make sure you grab two containers if you are planning on making multiple drinks.
Basil Leaves: I love the combo of basil in this drink it adds a slight flavor but not too overpowering, feel free to add more if you really love the flavor. You could also sub other herbs here too, fresh mint would also be really good.
Club soda: Since this is a refreshing summer drink I like to top it off with some club soda to keep it really sip-able. Any soda water or seltzer would work here for topping it off (Some brands even have a blackberry seltzer that would really good if you are looking for more of the berry flavor).
Now it is this simple:
- Combine the blackberries and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker. Muddle blackberries down, then add basil leaves and muddle the basil down.
- Add your bourbon to the cocktail shaker with a handful of ice. Shake to combine. Strain over ice. Top with club soda and garnish with more blackberries and basil leaves.
The one thing I would like to note is that with many cocktail shakers the muddled berries and leaves might clog up the holes, so you either really have to give the shaker a little shake to get the liquid all out!
And now sit back and relax and enjoy your Blackberry Bourbon Smash!
If you are looking for more delicious alcoholic beverages like this one you might like these:
And if you are looking for some snack foods to go with your drinks? Try some of these out:
- Buffalo Chickpea Dip
- Healthy Chocolate Hummus
- How to make a Sheet Pan Snack Platter
- Fresh Restaurant Style Salsa
- Easy Hummus
- 1/2 oz simple syrup
- 1/4 cup blackberries
- 4-5 basil leaves
- 2 oz bourbon
- 2 oz club soda
- Combine blackberries and syrup in a cocktail shaker, muddle blackberries down, add basil leaves and muddle basil down.
- Add bourbon to the cocktail shaker with a handful of ice. Shake to combine. Strain over ice. Top with club soda and garnish with more blackberries and basil leaves.
with many cocktail shakers the muddled berries and leaves might clog up the holes, so you might have to give the shaker a little shake to get the liquid all out
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g
Nutritional data is automated, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.
Peace & Love
Lauren, The Schmidty Wife