Easy Hummus is a staple in our house, not only because it is an amazing snack but because we eat so many Mediterranean inspired meals that it always pays to have some made. Most importantly my son loves hummus, so who am I to deny him a healthy snack. Hummus really is so versatile, it can be a great snack, side dish, dressing/sauce, and not going to lie I have had it as a main dish dinner many times before. And the best part of hummus is it is so stinking easy to make.
I will say I do love the flavor options that a lot of grocery stores have these days when it comes to hummus. There are fun flavors everyone love such as roasted red pepper, extra garlic, and there are the crazy ones, like chocolate dessert hummus!?! Like what? Have you guys tried that stuff yet? I haven’t, for some reason I just can’t comprehend how a dessert hummus would satisfy an urge for chocolate or a sweet tooth (hello have you heard of brownies?), but to each there own… moving on. As cool as some of the hummus flavors are nothing is as great as homemade classic hummus. If you are looking for a classic flavor homemade is always the way to go, so bring on the Easy Hummus.
So this is how easy it is to make hummus: add ingredients to food processor, blend until smooth, eat. So simple, enjoy as a snack with veggies or pita chips or use in your favorite Mediterranean recipes like my Chickpea Shawarma Buddha Bowl. My son absolutely loves hummus on a piece of toast for a great afternoon snack.
- 1 can (14oz) of chickpeas, drained
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- Optional Garnishes, such as olive oil, toasted sesame seeds, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, etc.
- Add chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic to food processor (or a powerful blender).
- Process on high for 1-2 minutes, check consistency of hummus. At this point if your hummus is too thick go ahead and add your water (I almost always add the water, otherwise it doesn't get quiet as smooth). Scrape down the sides using a rubber spatula. Continue to process the hummus on high for another 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- At this point you can serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container and will keep good for up to a week. Serve hummus with garnishes if preferred.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 323Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 34mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 6gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g
Nutritional data is automated, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.
Peace & Love
Lauren, The Schmidty Wife
P.S. Sign up for tasty recipes straight to your inbox!