Easy to make, this recipe for Crockpot Sausage and Peppers will be an instant hit. Just dump and go and this meal cooks itself with delicious sausages together with peppers, onions, and canned tomatoes to make a meal everyone will love.
This post may contain Affiliate Links.
Slow Cooker Italian Sausage and Peppers
During kids sports season this dinner totally saved my family! Those baseball games at 5 always left everyone super hungry after and wanting food immediately after the game. In an effort to ditch the take-out I made this amazing crockpot meal.
It is the perfect meal for if you have a little time in the afternoon to get it ready and come home after an event to a hot and ready meal.
If you work from home this one is so ideal! Not only that but if you don’t work from home you could still throw this in on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours before you need to eat on high and still have it ready!
Alternatively it is a great weekend meal for when you know you want to be out and about but you want o come home to delicious food.
I guess what I am really trying to say is that the crockpot is the best and this meal is just perfect for the crockpot!
- Crushed Tomato (‘Kitchen Ready’) – You want to look for crushed tomatoes or ‘kitchen ready’ tomatoes at the store, you will want a large can of the tomatoes. If you like the idea of any of the flavored crushed tomatoes like a basil or Italian blend that will definitely work here.
- Garlic – Of course sausages & peppers need some garlic.
- Dried Oregano – Some oregano to add some extra flavor to the dish.
- Salt – And salt for flavor, I recommend using kosher salt or sea salt, if you don’t have either use half the amount of table salt.
- Black Pepper – If your family isn’t a black pepper kind of family no worries just leave this out. Otherwise a heathy grind or pinch of black pepper is a nice addition.
- Italian Sausages – Hot, mild, or sweet whichever you like! I honestly always go for sweet or mild. You most likely will need 2 packs of sausages to equal 2 pound, I found this usually to be about 10 sausages. Great for a large crowd, hungry crowd, or leftovers!
- Green, Yellow, & Red Bell Peppers – Traffic light bell peppers as I like to call them at the store. One medium sized pepper of each!
- Sweet Onion – I think an onion helps bring extra flavor to the sausage and peppers especially a sweet pepper helps balance everything out. I like to use a Valencia Onion when available otherwise any other sweet onion will do, or even a yellow onion.
- Basil Leaves – For garnish at the end! I little sprinkle of basil leaves really spruces things up!
- Parmesan cheese – A little parmesan cheese of the top at the end too gives it a little something special.
- Sub Rolls or Cooked Pasta for Serving – Choose your own adventure! Serve these sausages sub style or overstep cooked pasta, heck they even work just on their own too! Whoever works best for you. I know my family loves them on sub rolls or hot dog buns!
For a complete detailed list of the ingredients continue towards the bottom of the page.
Pre-heat your crockpot as you are getting everything prepped and added! So before you start all the prep get the crockpot out and turn on to LOW. This ensures that your food starts the cooking process immediately once everything is added instead of waiting for the crockpot to come to temperature.
Add everything but the fresh basil and parmesan cheese to the crockpot. Gently mix together to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours or on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours. Until the sausages are fully cooked.
Serve on rolls, bun, or overtop your favorite cooked pasta. Garnish with the fresh basil leaves and parmesan cheese.
tips, tricks and questions
This is one of those crockpot meals that you don’t want to overcook. The maximum amount of time is about 5 hours on low. After this the sausages might become overcooked and the peppers and onions will turn into mush.
Should I brown sausages before putting in slow cooker?
You can if you want to! If you feel the drive to quickly brown all of the sausages before adding them to the slow cooker you certainly can. I personally don’t because this is a recipe specifically chosen to be short on prep time.
Should I be adding more liquid in slow cooker?
No need, as the recipe cook the peppers, onion, and tomatoes will release juices.
What can I serve with sausage peppers and onions?
I like to serve this sub style to my family in rolls or hot dog buns. It is equally as good over pasta. I have even had it before just the sausages and peppers! I then serve it will a nice side of steamed veggies or a quick side salad.
If you like this Crockpot Sausage and Peppers Recipe you might also like:
what to serve with this
Crockpot Sausage and Peppers
This dump & go recipe is just what you need for a busy night. Just throw the ingredients in the slow cooker and this sausage and peppers recipe will be ready in just a few hours!
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomato ('kitchen ready')
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- pinch coarse black pepper
- 2 pounds Italian sausages, hot or mild or sweet (about 10 sausages)
- 1 green bell peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 1 yellow bell peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 1 red bell peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- ¼ cup sliced basil leaves
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- sub rolls or cooked pasta for serving
- Add everything but the fresh basil and parmesan cheese to the crockpot. Gently mix together to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours or on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours. Until the sausages are fully cooked.
- Serve on rolls, bun, or overtop your favorite cooked pasta. Garnish with the fresh basil leaves and parmesan cheese.
This is one of those crockpot meals that you don't want to overcook. The maximum amount of time is about 5 hours on low. After this the sausages might become overcooked and the peppers and onions will turn into mush.
Serving Size:1 sausage with peppers
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 344Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 924mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 19g
Nutritional data is automated and might not be 100% accurate, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.
And make sure you are following me on TikTok, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for all the latest recipes!
Leave a Reply