These homemade lemon squares are oozing with gooey lemon filling overtop a simple buttery crust. These are the lemon bars people will be asking you to make again and again.
Hello! Lemon Squares!
I pulled this recipe out from the family archives last week when my neighbors brought over a bag full of lemons. And you know what they say, when life gives you lemons make lemon squares 😉
Well in this case I also made lemon meringue pie but lets get serious these delicious lemon squares are about 150 times easier to make then lemon meringue pie. Like these lemon squares are so easy anyone can make them. A simple crust made of 3 ingredients and the lemon filling is just 5 ingredients, and most of these ingredients you most likely already have in your pantry!
Flour, powdered sugar, and butter are formed into a simple crust and then baked for 15 minutes. Meanwhile you zest and juice your lemon (make sure to watch out for seeds!). You will then mix eggs, sugar, flour, and baking powder in with your lemon juice, beat together and your filling is complete. Once your crust is out of the oven all you have to do is pour the lemon filling on top and bake another 20 minutes! So easy, once done baking you sprinkle with powdered sugar and let it cool.
The simplicity of lemon squares I believe are the best part. You most likely don’t have to run to the store for a missing ingredient and no special kitchen gadgets are required. These are a great dessert for a dinner party, a get together with friends, or just because.
So powdery and delicious, so much sugar 🙂
Perfect for sharing with all your friends and family!
So gooey, tart, and sweet, the most perfect combination!
I hope you enjoy these delicious Lemon Squares! 🙂
for the crust:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
for the lemon filling:
- 2 eggs
- 1 large lemon (2 tablespoons lemon juice)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a mixing bowl add flour, powdered sugar, and butter to make the crust. Mix together (I find my hands work best) until a smooth dough is formed.
- Press the dough into a 8x8 inch pan. Try to make dough flat and even as possible into a crust.
- Bake crust for 15 minutes.
- While crust is baking zest and juice the lemon into the mixing bowl (you want the amount of lemon juice to be about 2 tablespoons). Add the remaining ingredients, eggs, sugar, flour, and baking powder to the mixing bowl. Beat together.
- Once crust is done baking remove from oven. Carefully pour the lemon filling over the baked crust. Return to oven. Bake and additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle immediately with powdered sugar. Let cool completely before serving. Keep leftovers refrigerated.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1 square
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 68mg Sodium: 125mg Carbohydrates: 38g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 26g Protein: 3g
If you enjoyed this Recipe or any of my others let me know by using #theschmidtywife on social media!
Peace & Love
Lauren, The Schmidty Wife
Please note that my links above may be affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. I recommend them because they are helpful, and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products.