This salad purely happened on a whim, our neighbors had invited to make us dinner, and me usually being the one who cooks quickly obliged. But me being me I couldn’t just let someone else make me dinner without contributing so I whipped up this quick salad with what I had in the fridge. Filled with veggies, fruit, and a super quick dressing it is a winner for any dinner party or summer cookout. Presenting Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad with Strawberries, Apple, & Bacon.
This dressing quickly comes together, it is simply strawberries, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil with a dash of salt & pepper, blended together in a blender or food processor.
The salad itself is shaved brussel sprouts, a granny smith apple, strawberries, bacon, and feta cheese. This salad in my opinion is the perfect blend of sweet, salty, and crunchy. You can buy the brussel sprouts already shaved or cut them yourself, and the other ingredients are easy enough to gather together. A few strips of bacon are quickly fried, and the apples and strawberries are quickly sliced. All thrown into a bowl and crumbled with feta, Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad with Strawberries, Apple, & Bacon is ready to go!
TIPS & TRICKS:
- Use pre-shaved brussel sprouts or easily cut them yourself
- This salad holds up pretty well (brussel sprouts won’t get wilty) so it’s perfect for a picnic or summer cookout 🙂
- 6 cups shaved brussel sprouts (about 4-5 brussel sprouts in a cup)
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 pound strawberries
- 1 green apple
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Cut 1 inch pieces of bacon into a medium sized skillet. Heat skillet over medium heat 6-9 minutes until bacon is to your preferred crunchiness, stirring bacon occasionally. When cooked, place bacon on a paper towel lined plate to cool and let grease drain.
- Meanwhile make the dressing, in a blender or food processor (I use my single serve blender cup for easy clean up) add 3 strawberries (stems & leaves removed), balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and salt & pepper to taste. Blend/process for about 10 seconds or until smooth and emulsified. Set dressing aside.
- If you are not using pre-shaved brussel sprouts, clean the ends and outer leaves off the brussel sprouts, half the sprouts, and then carefully slice into small shaved pieces until you have 6 cups.
- Slice the remaining strawberries and dice the apple into small pieces (I like to leave the skin on the apple).
- Add the brussel sprouts, strawberries, apple, bacon, and feta to a large bowl, drizzle with the dressing, toss to coat. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 299Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 353mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 8gSugar: 14gProtein: 11g
Nutritional data is automated, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.
If you enjoyed this Recipe or any of my others let me know by using #theschmidtywife on social media!
And make sure you are following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for all the latest recipes!
Peace & Love
Lauren, The Schmidty Wife
Please note that my links above may be affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. I recommend them because they are helpful, and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products.