The other day I made some traditional chili mac for my family, which my husband absolutely loves because it reminds him of ‘hamburger helper but better’. So as we were sitting there gobbling down our dinner, I was already day dreaming about ways to change/make this dish better and my own. And then it hit me, White Chicken Chili Mac. I was going to make a delicious and easy mac and cheese with a white chicken chili as the base.
I started with a typical white chili base white beans, green chilies, onion, garlic, and of course chicken. For this recipe I wanted it to make it fast and simple, made for a busy weeknight so I opted for precooked shredded chicken. You can use leftover chicken, rotisserie chicken, or cook up some chicken ahead of time specifically for this meal. Whatever works easiest for you!
So with the chili base all set, it was time to add the mac. And adding the mac is as simple as adding some chicken broth and noodles. Then adding the cheese, I chose a simple mixture of white cheddar and a little mozzarella.
So preparing it all in the pot takes under 30 minutes and dinner is served. This White Chicken Chili Mac is soon to be your new comfort food mashup 🙂
TIPS & TRICKS:
- I use Cavatappi Pasta in this recipe mostly because it is such a fun noodle to eat but if you can’t find it no sweat Elbow Pasta will work just as well
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 28 ounce can white beans, drained (or 2 15 ounce cans)
- 1 4.5 ounce can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (black pepper may be substituted)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cavatappi pasta (or elbow pasta)
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Dice your onion and add to a large pot over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil. Cook until slightly translucent 3-4 minutes.
- Add beans, chilies, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper to the pot and stir to combine.
- Stir in the chicken broth and pasta. Cover and let cook for 12-15 minutes until pasta is fully cooked.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in the chicken.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the white cheddar and all of the mozzarella cheese until melted.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately, use the remaining white cheddar to garnish.
Peace & Love
Lauren, The Schmidty Wife
Please note that my links above may be affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. I recommend them because they are helpful, and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products.