Homemade Chai Tea Concentrate made easier in the crockpot, throw in your ingredients, let them simmer and you have enough chai tea lattes to last all week!
So I hate admitting it because people look at you crazy when you do but I am not a coffee drinker. I know so many Americans depend on their daily coffee, and I am so grateful that I am not one of those people. I am not saying I don’t dislike coffee, I do enjoy a good cup of coffee every once in a while, but I am talking small batch beans in the french press. When it comes to my daily drink of choice I am a tea person, my absolute favorite form of tea, Homemade Chai Tea.
Whether it is hot or cold I seriously cannot get enough of the smooth and spicy chai tea latte. And while most coffee shops whip up a delicious latte, they are so easy to make at home for a fraction of the price!
Once you have all of the necessary ingredients you basically have an infinite amount of Homemade Chai Tea Concentrate at your disposal. I used to make single cups of chai tea on the stove all of the time, and I thought to myself there has to be an easier way. And there is! By making a huge batch of Homemade Chai Tea Concentrate once a week I can store it in the refrigerator to be consumed easily throughout the week! And what better way to do this than using my trusty slow cooker. I don’t have to sit and babysit it over the stove, I literally throw all of my ingredients in the crockpot and go about my day. It is that simple, you are welcome 🙂
TIPS & TRICKS:
- You can make this on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-9 hours, I have tried both ways and they both are delicious, I will say though I personally like the low and slow version better because I can do it while I am gone all day or even overnight
- The best part about making your own homemade Chai Tea Concentrate is you can make it exactly the way you want, I don’t like mine overly sweet so I only use 1/2 cup of honey, but if you like it sweet add more, or if you like yours really peppery add more pepper, it is as simple as that!
- Missing some of the spices? Get them here:
- 4 inches cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole star anise
- 15 cardamon pods, slightly crushed
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 whole allspice
- 2 inch knob fresh ginger, thinly sliced OR 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 cups water
- 8 black tea bags
- Add all of the ingredients except the tea bags to the crockpot. Stir together to ensure honey isn't just sitting on the bottom.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low 7-9 hours.
- Turn off crockpot and stir in the tea bags. Cover and let the tea steep for 15 minutes.
- Line a strainer with cheese cloth and place over a large bowl/container.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the tea bags and whole spices from the crockpot.
- Ladle your chai concentrate into the cheesecloth lined strainer until all of the liquid is strained.
- Transfer your chai concentrate to an air tight container and store in the refrigerator.
- To make your chai latte, hot or cold mix 50/50 with your preferred milk and either heat or pour over ice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 74Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 12mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 0g
If you enjoyed this recipe or any of my others let me know by using #theschmidtywife on social media!
And make sure you are following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for all the latest recipes!
Peace & Love
Lauren, The Schmidty Wife
Please note that my links above may be affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. I recommend them because they are helpful, and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products.