Homemade Chai Tea Concentrate made easier in the crockpot, throw in your ingredients, let them simmer and you have enough chai tea lattes to last all week!
So I hate admitting it because people look at you crazy when you do but I am not a coffee drinker. I know so many Americans depend on their daily coffee, and I am so grateful that I am not one of those people. I am not saying I don’t dislike coffee, I do enjoy a good cup of coffee every once in a while, but I am talking small batch beans in the french press. When it comes to my daily drink of choice I am a tea person, my absolute favorite form of tea, Homemade Chai Tea.
Whether it is hot or cold I seriously cannot get enough of the smooth and spicy chai tea latte. And while most coffee shops whip up a delicious latte, they are so easy to make at home for a fraction of the price!
Once you have all of the necessary ingredients you basically have an infinite amount of Homemade Chai Tea Concentrate at your disposal. I used to make single cups of chai tea on the stove all of the time, and I thought to myself there has to be an easier way. And there is! By making a huge batch of Homemade Chai Tea Concentrate once a week I can store it in the refrigerator to be consumed easily throughout the week! And what better way to do this than using my trusty slow cooker. I don’t have to sit and babysit it over the stove, I literally throw all of my ingredients in the crockpot and go about my day. It is that simple, you are welcome 🙂
TIPS & TRICKS:
- You can make this on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-9 hours, I have tried both ways and they both are delicious, I will say though I personally like the low and slow version better because I can do it while I am gone all day or even overnight
- The best part about making your own homemade Chai Tea Concentrate is you can make it exactly the way you want, I don’t like mine overly sweet so I only use 1/2 cup of honey, but if you like it sweet add more, or if you like yours really peppery add more pepper, it is as simple as that!
- Missing some of the spices? Get them here:
- 4 inches cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole star anise
- 15 cardamon pods, slightly crushed
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 whole allspice
- 2 inch knob fresh ginger, thinly sliced OR 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 cups water
- 8 black tea bags
- Add all of the ingredients except the tea bags to the crockpot. Stir together to ensure honey isn't just sitting on the bottom.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low 7-9 hours.
- Turn off crockpot and stir in the tea bags. Cover and let the tea steep for 15 minutes.
- Line a strainer with cheese cloth and place over a large bowl/container.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the tea bags and whole spices from the crockpot.
- Ladle your chai concentrate into the cheesecloth lined strainer until all of the liquid is strained.
- Transfer your chai concentrate to an air tight container and store in the refrigerator.
- To make your chai latte, hot or cold mix 50/50 with your preferred milk and either heat or pour over ice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 74Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 12mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 0g
Nutritional data is automated, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.
If you enjoyed this recipe or any of my others let me know by using #theschmidtywife on social media!
And make sure you are following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for all the latest recipes!
Peace & Love
Lauren, The Schmidty Wife
Please note that my links above may be affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. I recommend them because they are helpful, and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products.