Muesli – a nutritious and versatile breakfast option that’s about to become your new go-to morning meal. This homemade muesli recipe is not only easy to prepare but also fully customizable to suit your taste preferences.
This post may contain Affiliate Links.
Healthy Muesli Recipe
Muesli is a Swiss breakfast consisting mostly of oats along with seeds, nuts, and dried fruits. It is healthy and nutritious and a great way to start the day.
It is so easy to prepare and customize at home, plus with a few different ways to enjoy it. I most often enjoy it cereal style with oat milk and fresh fruit on top, blueberries being my favorite.
History of Muesli
Muesli dates back to the 19th century in Switzerland. Created by Dr. Maximilian Bircher-Benner who served it to the patients at his hospital. When he originally created it he prepared it by soaking overnight and then serving with apples, lemon juice, and cream or honey.
Different Ways to Enjoy Muesli
Breakfast should never be monotonous! Try the different ways to eat muesli:
- Overnight Oats: Prepare it ahead overnight by adding liquid (milk, water, or juice) and letting it rest in the fridge for a convenient easy breakfast.
- Cold Cereal: Enjoy it in the morning with cold milk, providing a refreshing and energizing start to your day. And top with fruit or a drizzle of honey for a little extra flavor boost.
- Hot Oatmeal-Style: Serve it with hot milk for a comforting and warming breakfast experience.
- With a Parfait or Smoothie Bowl: Elevate your meal by adding muesli for extra flavor and a nutrient boost!
This is the ingredients of what I use at home, feel free to substitute how you see fit. In total you will want a variety or seeds/nuts and dried fruits along with your oats.
- Oats – Old Fashioned oats
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Coconut Flakes
- Flax Seed Meal
- Hemp Hearts
For a complete detailed list of the ingredients continue towards the bottom of the page.
Mixing: In a large bowl or container, combine all the ingredients.
Storage: Once mixed, store your creation in an airtight container at room temperature. This ensures the freshness of your muesli whenever you’re ready to indulge.
Flexibility: Feel free to make it your own by substituting seeds, nuts, and dried fruit based on your personal preferences. The possibilities are endless!
tips, tricks and questions
Here are some other ideas to customize the ingredients in your muesli
Nuts/Seeds: Walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, peanuts, pistachios, or sunflower seeds.
Dried Fruits: Coconut, golden raisins, dried mango, chopped dried apples, bananas, cherries, goji berries, pineapple, dried cranberries, or dried apricots.
Flavors: Add flavoring components such as ground cinnamon.
Toasted Muesli: Toasting the nuts and seeds before mixing adds a delightful crunch, elevating the overall experience. Add the oats, nuts, and seeds to a sheet pan and cook 10 to 15 minutes at 350º F.
Is this gluten-free?
Yes, as long as you are using gluten-free oats this is naturally gluten free.
Do I have to use cow’s milk?
No. Use whichever milk you prefer. Many people like to eat this with Almond Milk, I personally eat mine with Oat Milk.
What is the difference between granola and muesli?
While the two overlap muesli is often a raw version of all of the components mixed together, while granola is often baked with some amount of oil and sweetener.
- 3 cups oats
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl or container. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Substitute out the seeds, nuts, and dried fruit as you wish.
- For preparing ahead of time overnight oats style, add liquid (milk or juice) and let rest in the fridge overnight. You can also prepare it in the morning by eating it with cold milk like cereal, or serve with hot milk for oatmeal style. Add fresh fruit for a more filling meal.
Serving Size:a heaping cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 474Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 33mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 11gSugar: 13gProtein: 14g
Nutritional data is automated and might not be 100% accurate, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.