Get ready for a new recipe that’s as quick and easy as it is delicious. This Cottage Cheese Queso is not only a game-changer in the flavor department but also a lifesaver when you need a speedy snack or appetizer.
This post may contain Affiliate Links.
Cottage Cheese Queso Dip
Have you ever come across a recipe that not only captivates your taste buds but takes the internet by storm? Well, the Cottage Cheese Queso is one such sensation that has gone viral across TikTok and Instagram, gaining popularity for its unexpected yet delightful twist.
Now I have always loved cottage cheese and tried for years to bring backs it’s popularity. So when Cottage Cheese Ice Cream first went viral you better believe I was so excited. And I am equally excited for all of these other cottage cheese recipes that are now gaining popularity. If you are looking for even more cottage cheese recipes let me hook you up try out my Cottage Cheese Scrambled Eggs, Cottage Cheese Apple Breakfast Bowl, or my Cottage Cheese Peanut Butter Breakfast Bowl.
This recipe has quickly become an after school snack staple at our house, with my kids requesting it at least once a week. I don’t mind, they are packing their little bellies with protein which helps keep them full until dinner time!
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s talk about the health benefits of cottage cheese. Packed with protein, vitamins, and minerals, cottage cheese is a nutritious snack that supports muscle growth. With all of the nutritious benefits it also provides a satisfyingly creamy base for our queso. So it is basically a win-win!
- Cottage Cheese – Not all brands of cottage cheese are created equal, and there are a lot of different regional varieties. I suggest finding your favorite brand by grabbing a few different varieties and testing them out. Luckily for this recipe we are blending the cottage cheese so the consistency shouldn’t matter as much as taste.
- Cheddar Cheese – For a better melt I highly suggest shredding the cheese yourself off of a block of cheese. You can also use whatever kind of cheddar you wish, anything from mild to extra sharp.
- Taco Seasoning – Use whatever taco seasoning you wish, for this recipe I enjoyed using a gourmet taco blend from Here’s The Deal Spice Co. I also tested it with my Homemade Taco Seasoning which is also delicious.
For a complete detailed list of the ingredients continue towards the bottom of the page.
Blend Cottage Cheese
Grab your blender, preferably a single-serve one for that perfect, smooth consistency.
Add the cottage cheese and blend until it reaches a silky smooth texture.
Transfer the blended cottage cheese to a microwave-safe bowl.
Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese and taco seasoning on top.
Microwave for 1 minute initially.
Stir well and return to the microwave.
Cook for an additional 30 seconds, stirring in between.
Repeat until the queso achieves a velvety smoothness (about 2 minutes, depending on your microwave).
Garnish and Serve
Optionally, enhance your queso with a garnish of pico de gallo, salsa, or cilantro.
Serve it hot with your favorite tortilla chips.
tips, tricks and questions
For optimal consistency:
For the best results make sure the cottage cheese is blended really smooth. If it is still a little chunky the queso will likely be a little chunky. I find that a single serve blender works best.
Can I Use a Regular Blender?
Certainly! While a single-serve blender is recommended, a regular blender will get the job done.
Feel free to get creative with toppings. Avocado, diced tomatoes, hot sauce, or a squeeze of lime – customize to your heart’s content. Play around with the type of cheese too, use a sharp cheddar for a fun bite versus a mild cheddar for a smooth dip.
Can I Reheat Queso from the Fridge?
Yes, reheat in short 30 second increments in the microwave, stirring in between until it regains its smooth texture. You can keep the queso in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Stovetop Instead of Microwave?
Absolutely! Heat the blended mixture on low heat, stirring continuously until it achieves the desired consistency.
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- Add cottage cheese to a blender (single serve works great) and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the blended cottage cheese to a microwave safe bowl. Top with the shredded cheese and taco seasoning.
- Transfer to the microwave and microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir well and transfer back to the microwave. Cook for another 30 seconds before stirring well again. Repeat the process of cooking for 30 seconds and stirring until the queso is smooth. The whole process should take about 2 minutes but depends on your microwave.
- Optionally garnish with pico de gallo, salsa, or cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.
The smoother the cottage cheese is blended the smoother the queso will be. While testing I once tried using an immersion blender which didn't give the same smoothness of a classic blender and the queso didn't turn out as smooth. If you have a single serve blender, that will work best.
Serving Size:1/2 the dish
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 960mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 19g
Nutritional data is automated and might not be 100% accurate, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.