Cottage Cheese Ice Cream is a surprising treat is made up of just a few simple ingredients. Creamy, flavorful, and packed with protein this healthy dessert is perfect as an after dinner treat!
This post may contain Affiliate Links.
Cottage Cheese Ice Cream: Viral TikTok Recipe
When I saw Cottage Cheese Ice Cream starting to trend I immediately knew I had to try it.
I mean I have been trying to bring Cottage Cheese back for years. Between my Cottage Cheese Scrambled Eggs, Cottage Cheese Apple Breakfast Bowl, Cottage Cheese Peanut Butter Bowls, and my No Ricotta Spinach Stuffed Shells you can assume I love cottage cheese and incorporating it into my meals.
I first saw this recipe go viral on Instagram and of course I had to post my own Instagram version of it.
The beauty about this ice cream is that it really is a 2 ingredient recipe being that cottage cheese and honey are at the base. BUT to me it is way more fun to add flavors!
So for my version I am sharing is based off of my Peanut Butter Cottage Cheese bowls that I shared above. So I am incorporating banana and well as some swirls of peanut butter in my recipe. (You could also easily add in chocolate chips as well).
If this flavor doesn’t sound great no worries there are plenty variations…
Cottage Cheese Ice Cream Variations
- Plain: Just use the cottage cheese and honey to make the original 2-ingredient recipe.
- Vanilla: Follow the plain recipe as above but add in vanilla bean or vanilla extract
- Strawberry Cheesecake: Add in about 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen strawberries and swirl in graham crackers at the end.
- Blueberry: Add in about 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries.
- Mango: Add in about 1/2 cup of frozen mango (maybe add a little mint leaf in there too to really up the flavor?!)
- Coffee: Add a shot of espresso?!
- Chai: Add a teaspoon or so of my Homemade Chai Spice Blend.
- Full Fat Cottage Cheese – Not all cottage cheese is created equal, different brands can vary quite a bit in the ingredients used. Some brands tend to use a lot of fillers and preservatives while others keep the list quite small with simple ingredients like milk and cream. So this is one of those foods that is really helpful to pick up the container and read the back of a few before making your selection. When searching for cottage cheese you will also have different fat options these usually are full fat at 4%, low fat at 1%, or No Fat Cottage Cheese. I highly recommend using the full fat for this recipe. Ice cream depends a lot on the fats to keep it creamy and delicious, so with a small 4% of fat in the full fat cottage cheese it is still no where near what traditional ice cream would be to get that creaminess so the cottage cream ice cream will naturally come out more icy than a traditional ice cream would. If you were to use a no fat or low fat variety you are going to make it even less creamy and more icy.
- Honey – Honey is pretty much all I am seeing as the sweetener in this trending food and I think it makes a lot of sense to use honey which is why I am using it but if you wanted to play around with other sweeteners I am sure you could give it a try.
- Banana – Frozen or Not. I am partial to using a frozen banana because I think that it helps with the consistency (think when you make a smoothie with a frozen banana versus if you didn’t use a frozen banana). Of course if you don’t have any bananas currently frozen you can use a room temperature one no problem.
- 100% Peanut Butter – In order for the peanut butter to swirl in you will want to use 100% peanut butter or at least a natural peanut butter that is natural more liquidy than lets say a diff peanut butter that is made to be more rigid. If you are looking to make your own peanut butter (it’s super easy) I have a blog post all about How to make 100% Peanut Butter.
For a complete detailed list of the ingredients continue towards the bottom of the page.
Add the cotttage cheese, honey, and banana to a blender or food processor. Blend until everything is very smooth.
Transfer to a freezer safe container. Add dollops of the peanut butter across the top of the cottge cheese ice cream. Using a butter knife carefully swirl the peanut butter into the ice cream to create swirls.
Cover and transfer to the freezer. Let freeze about 4 hours. Before serving take out the container and let it rest at room tmperature for 5-10 minutes. Scoop the cottage cheese ice cream into bowls and enjoy.
tips, tricks and questions
Does cottage cheese ice cream taste good?
I think so. I think a lot of it is going to have to do with if. you like cottage cheese in the first place. It is also important to note that because this is called ice cream doesn’t mean it is going to taste like traditional ice cream, obviously it is going to be different.
Is cottage cheese ice cream healthy?
Yes! This ice cream has 17 grams of protein. It also includes fiber and is sweetened with a natural sweetener. Not to mention this will help fill you up to keep you focused.
How long can Cottage Cheese Ice Cream last in the freezer?
If covered properly about 2 weeks (if it lasts that long). Just make sure every time you serve it you let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes at room temperature.
If you like this Cottage Cheese Ice Cream Recipe you might also like:
Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
This no-churn delicious Cottage Cheese Ice Cream is almost too good to be true. With just a handful of ingredients this ice cream is creamy, tasty, and packed with protien!
- 2 cups full fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/4 cup 100% all natural peanut butter
- Add the cotttage cheese, honey, and banana to a blender or food processor. Blend until everything is very smooth.
- Transfer to a freezer safe container. Add dollops of the peanut butter across the top of the cottge cheese ice cream. Using a butter knife carefully swirl the peanut butter into the ice cream to create swirls.
- Cover and transfer to the freezer. Let freeze about 4 hours. Before serving take out the container and let it rest at room tmperature for 5-10 minutes. Scoop the cottage cheese ice cream into bowls and enjoy.
Banana can be room temperature or frozen.
Serving Size:1/4 the dish
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 456mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 17g
Nutritional data is automated and might not be 100% accurate, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.
And make sure you are following me on TikTok, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for all the latest recipes!
Leave a Reply