a warm and cozy spin off of tomato soup this roasted red pepper and tomato soup boasts a big flavor from roasting the vegetables before putting them into the soup, perfect for a chilly night and pairing with your favorite grilled cheese sandwiches
I am so excited about this recipe I am sharing today, Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup. This is one of my family’s go to dinners. This soup is by far one of my son’s favorite meals, he will down 2 bowls of it before my husband and I even get halfway through one.
So because of my son’s affection for this dish I make it frequently and I have no problem doing so for two reasons, it is super easy and super healthy, win win for mom. A few veggies are chopped up and thrown on a sheet pan, roasted, and blended into soup, boom dinner.
To go along side this soup I always make my Pesto Grilled Cheese, and these two are a match made in heaven.
Perfect for a weeknight, a cold autumn day, or just when you are in the mood for comfort food you can’t go wrong with Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup.
TIPS & TRICKS:
- This recipe takes 4-5 tomatoes depending on the size, during tomato season when I can get large beautifully homegrown tomatoes it takes only 4 but for non tomato season when you are using greenhouse tomatoes I would recommend 5 large tomatoes
- I use Better Than Bouillion; Vegetable Base for my broth, I love this product and always keep it in the fridge
- Depending on how chunky you like your soup will depend how long you blend it, I like it still somewhat chunky so I blend about 10-15 seconds, if you like it smoother you’ll want to blend longer, about 20-30 seconds depending on your blender/food processor
- 4-5 large tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers
- 3-4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth*
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Cut tomatoes and onion into wedges, you will want 6-8 wedges from each tomato depending on the size. Slice red bell peppers in half the long way, remove stem, seeds, and white insides.
- Add tomatoes, onion, pepper, and garlic to a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil. Ensure the pepper halves are all skin side up and the tomatoes are all seed side up, this will ensure proper roasting. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until peppers and tomatoes are soft and have started to brown.
- During the last few minutes of baking, prep the broth. Add the broth, basil, and thyme to a large pot and heat over medium-high heat until simmering.
- Once the vegetables are done cooking remove from the oven and let rest 2-3 minutes.
- In 2 batches (as to not overcrowd) add the roasted vegetables to a food processor or blender**. Blend for 10-20 seconds depending on how chunky you like your soup. Stir into the broth.
- Bring back to a simmer, take off heat and serve immediately.
**If you have an immersion blender add vegetables straight to the broth and then blend
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 84 Total Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 337mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 8g Protein: 3g