So this recipe is a total cheater recipe, it is many times removed from the original Korean Beef that it is based after, so before anyone calls me out on it not be authentic I 100% realize this. I was most interested in coming up with a cheap, healthy, and fast version of this beloved dish that anyone can make. Korean Ground Turkey & Rice Bowls are so incredibly easy, it is a recipe that literally anyone could make and it is done fast, like dinner on the table in 20 minutes fast.
So why’d I do all these switches:
- Ground turkey where I live & shop (costal New Hampshire Market Basket’s) is way cheaper then ground beef. This might not be the case for everyone everywhere but I have come accustomed to grabbing for the ground turkey instead of beef.
- You can use very low fat ground turkey and it will still taste amazing, a lot of times ground turkey can be a little tasteless, not in this recipe the sauce adds so much flavor, to quote my husband, ‘I didn’t know you could make ground turkey taste this good’.
- I tried to keep the sauce simple but I did change out the traditional brown sugar for honey. I try to keep my family away from refined sugars and try to stick with natural sweeteners if necessary. In this recipe my husband actually preferred the honey flavor over the brown sugar flavor!
Overall I hope you enjoy these Korean Ground Turkey & Rice Bowls for a super quick weekday dinner or lunch!
TIPS & TRICKS:
- For the rice: use whatever rice (or grain) you prefer. In my opinion white rice tastes best but might not be the best option for you, choose brown rice or even cauliflower rice for a healthier option.
- This dish goes great with some steamed broccoli
- Remember to start your rice cooking before you start on the ground Turkey, it takes longer 🙂
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 cups uncooked rice (white or brown)
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- green onion & sesame seeds for garnish
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat brown the ground turkey 8-10 minutes until fully cooked.
- While turkey is cooking, make the sauce. Add garlic, honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, red pepper flakes, and black pepper to a bowl. Mix together.
- Once turkey is fully cooked add the sauce to the skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes until the sauce thickens/absorbs into the turkey.
- Serve the turkey over the rice. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
Peace & Love
Lauren, The Schmidty Wife
Please note that my links above may be affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. I recommend them because they are helpful, and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products.