I never considered myself much of a meat and potatoes type girl until I started writing this post. I just realized I absolutely love potatoes and nothing pairs better with potatoes then a good piece of meat, whether it be a perfectly grilled chicken breast, a t-bone steak, or juicy burger. So in honor of my new found identity I present to you How to make Perfect Baked Potatoes.
You’ll start with your potatoes, however many you plan on serving it doesn’t matter (remember leftover potatoes are a wonderful thing). For the best baked potato you will want a large russet baking potato, most grocery stores have potatoes in bulk for specifically making baked potatoes, get those if you can, if not any russet will work. It is also important to note that the potatoes will bake best when they are all around the same size so keep that in mind when picking your potatoes. So once you have you potatoes the first step is to wash them clean, really make sure any of the dirt that might have been on them comes off.
Once your potatoes are all clean you will want to poke them with a fork, 5-6 times all over the potato.
Next you will massage them with olive oil, yes massage 😉 Give them each a little drizzle and a good rub. You want them covered in oil but not dripping. Also this step is a good place to point out it is best to have a cutting board or plate under the potatoes to catch all the drippings!
Next you are ready to salt. For this step go big or go home. Start with high quality salt, it makes all the difference. Try course sea salt or fresh ground pink himalayan salt (my favorite). Really go to town on the salt, this is the step I think makes the biggest and best impressions and flavors. Salt all sides of the potatoes so there is almost a coating of salt. Finish off with some freshly ground pepper to your liking.
And just like that you are ready for the oven. You will want to place the potatoes spread out on the middle rack and bake at 400º F for 1 hour. (I like to place a piece of tin foil on the bottom rack to catch any drippings).
Once the potatoes are done baking you will want to let them cool for a few minutes before indulging. Top with your favorite toppings! Enjoy your Perfect Baked Potatoes 🙂
Lastly if you are looking for some delicious Baked Potatoes for dinner check out my Reuben Stuffed Baked Potatoes or my Spinach Mushroom Stuffed Baked Potatoes with Cheddar.
- 4 large russet potatoes
- olive oil
- high quality salt (sea salt or pink himalayan)
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400º F with oven racks in middle and bottom positions. Place a piece of tin foil large enough to catch any dripings on the bottom rack.
- Clean and dry potatoes so no dirt remains.
- Once your potatoes are all clean you will want to poke them with a fork, 5-6 times all over the potato.
- Over a plate or cutting board drizzle olive oil over each potato. One by one massage oil evenly onto each potato, you do not want olive oil dripping off the potato at this point.
- Generously sprinkle potatoes with salt, so that the salt is almost breading each potato. Sprinkle potato with pepper to your liking.
- Place potatoes directly onto middle oven rack, ensuring that the potatoes are not touching each other. Bake for 1 hour.
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving, enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 321 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 333mg Carbohydrates: 64g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 3g Protein: 8g
If you enjoyed this recipe or any of my others let me know by using #theschmidtywife on social media!
Peace & Love
Lauren, The Schmidty Wife
Please note that my links above may be affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. I recommend them because they are helpful, and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products.