Ready on the table in under 30 minutes this delicious and easy Ground Turkey Sloppy Joes Recipe is sure to be a hit with the whole family!
This post may contain Affiliate Links.
Turkey Sloppy Joes
This American classic just got better. Ditch the cans of manwich and pre-made sauces that are filled with preservatives and sugar for this easy to make ground turkey version!
I think Sloppy Joes is something almost everyone remembers from their childhood? My husband and I always laugh because we both grew up with 2 very different versions. His was straight out of the can and mine was filled with extra veggies like onions, green bell peppers, and celery.
As I thought about the version my kids would have growing up I knew that I wanted to make it healthy but easy too! That is how this version came about!
I wanted to start with ground turkey for this version. The key to making ground turkey really taste good is making sure it is cooked, even briefly in a sauce! So I figured sloppy joes was the perfect recipe for it.
The other thing I took in to consideration was the amount of sugar that is in most sloppy joes recipes (obviously why we all love it right?). So I ditched any added sugars and just let the simple ingredients do the talking instead! So this no sugar added ground turkey sloppy joes is a great meal option you can feel good feeling your family while giving you a warm cozy nostalgic feeling.
- Olive Oil – Just a little for sautéing the onions and peppers.
- Ground Turkey – One pound of ground turkey, I did test this recipe with different fat percentages. I did find personally that 85% lean 15% fat worked best because the meat didn’t totally crumble apart, but because you are adding a sauce it doesn’t matter too much if you would prefer using a leaner turkey. Whatever option you choose you will probably end up draining the skillet before adding the sauce.
- Green Bell Pepper – Call me crazy but I love some veggies added into my sloppy joes! Green pepper works just perfectly. I just dice them as normal but if you want the bell pepper to be less obvious that it is in there just mince it into even smaller pieces.
- Yellow Onion – For flavor onion is an absolute must but as the same with the green pepper if you prefer to not have the onion as chunky you may just mince up the onion into smaller pieces before using!
- Garlic – Some garlic into this meal, and while the recipe does call for 3 cloves I don’t think of the dish as super garlic-y so if you love garlic and want to add a bit more you can.
- Tomato Sauce – Tomato sauce is pretty much the star of the sauce, since sloppy joes is fairly tomato forward.
- Yellow Mustard – Yellow mustard to add flavor to the sauce.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Worcestershire sauce will add a lot to the sauce in this dish so don’t skip this ingredient!
- Chili Powder & Kosher Salt – And for seasoning just a touch small touch of chili powder and salt!
For a complete detailed list of the ingredients continue towards the bottom of the page.
You can obviously serve sloppy joes on buns but can I highly recommend making some baked potatoes and serving it over a baked potato!? It is seriously my favorite way to eat them!
In a bowl combine tomato sauce, water, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and chili powder.
Bring large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil. Add bell pepper and onion. Sauté about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook about 1 minute.
Add the ground turkey to the skillet. Crumble and cook until most of the pink is gone 5 to 6 minutes. Drain the skillet if needed.
Add the sauce mixture to the skillet and mix well. Cook stirring often about 5 minutes until sauce has thickened into the turkey. Remove from heat and serve.
tips, tricks and questions
What is the difference between a sloppy joe and a Manwich?
Manwich is simply a brand of sauce that comes in cans to make sloppy joes. I find it pretty fun that they even can sell it because sauce to make sloppy joes is so easy to make!
Switch it up a little bit. Try adding a stalk or two of celery diced up. Or go crazy and switch the green bell pepper to a red!
What’s a good side dish with sloppy joes?
In my opinion almost anything goes with sloppy joes. For our family I like to make some sort of potato side, a side salad, or a roast vegetable.
If you like this Ground Turkey Sloppy Joes Recipe you might also like:
what to serve with this
Ground Turkey Sloppy Joes
Easy to make and healthy too this recipe for turkey sloppy joes is ready in under 30 minutes!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- In a bowl combine tomato sauce, water, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and chili powder.
- Bring large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil. Add bell pepper and onion. Sauté about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook about 1 minute.
- Add the ground turkey to the skillet. Crumble and cook until most of the pink is gone 5 to 6 minutes. Drain the skillet if needed.
- Add the sauce mixture to the skillet and mix well. Cook stirring often about 5 minutes until sauce has thickened into the turkey. Remove from heat and serve.
Serving Size:1/6 of the dish
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 224Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 408mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 20g
Nutritional data is automated and might not be 100% accurate, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.
And make sure you are following me on TikTok, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for all the latest recipes!
Leave a Reply