Without a doubt soup season here in the Schmidt house. Soups all week long, until my husband complains and I need to come up with something else to make. It turned cold quickly this year and all I want at the end of a day is a warm bowl of soup, and the easier the better. So I often turn to one of my husband’s favorites, Crockpot Beef Pho.
I have actually been making this ‘cheater’ Beef Pho in the crockpot for a while now but have yet to get it published on the blog. So I am super excited to finally share!
I call this ‘cheater’ Beef Pho because well I cheat, true beef pho is simmered with beef bones and oxtails, I just use beef broth either ready from the store or made with Better Than Bouillon. I add beef broth to my crockpot along with fish sauce, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and brown sugar. I let it simmer on low all day long and come home to the most delicious smelling house, seriously this smell is the most comforting thing you could come home to.
Once the broth is ready finishing the soup is super easy. The onion is thinly sliced and added with the rice noodles.The beef is then thinly sliced and added once the noodles are tender. The Pho is then garnished with green onions, lime wedges, bean sprouts, cilantro, jalapeño, and sriracha. Voila Crockpot Beef Pho!
TIPS & TRICKS:
- If you want to make this on the stovetop it couldn’t be easier, in fact I have done it a handful of times, just use a large pot and let the spices simmer 30-40 minutes and then follow the remanding instructions
- A great tip for thinly slicing the sirloin, it cuts so much easier if it is just slightly frozen, when it is slightly frozen, it slices like butter, I do this by leaving it in the freezer for 20-40 minutes before cutting
- I always use these Gluten-Free Stir Fry Rice Noodles from Thai Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 6-7 whole star anise
- 1 2-3 inch cinnamon stick
- 10 whole cloves
- 2 inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled & sliced
- 8 cups beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 small white onion
- 7 ounces rice noodles
- 1 pound boneless sirloin steak
- Add brown sugar, fish sauce, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, beef broth, and water to the crockpot. Stir together so the brown sugar isn't sitting on the bottom. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove all of the whole spices*. Slice the onion as thinly as you can. Add the noodles and onion slices to the crockpot. Cook an additional 10 minutes.
- While the noodles are cooking, thinly slice the sirloin and prepare your garnishes. Once the noodles are fully cooked add the sirloin. Let cook 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately topped with the garnishes.
*Alternatively you can use a cheesecloth for all of the whole spices for easy removal.
Peace & Love
Lauren, The Schmidty Wife
Please note that my links above may be affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. I recommend them because they are helpful, and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products.