Today I am sharing this delicious Greek Quinoa Chickpea Salad with you. And I am a big enough person to admit when I inspire myself. I adapted my own Two Bean Mediterranean Salad into this delicious quinoa based Greek Salad.
I was looking for a good make ahead summer salad that did not involve any leafy greens but I didn’t want to make my favorite Two Bean Mediterranean Salad again for the billionth time in one week. So I switched it up a little.
I was really feeling quinoa, like craving quinoa…weird? So I figured I better include some quinoa in my new salad. With the addition of quinoa I opted to take out the black beans and just leave chickpeas. And I was very pleased with this choice.
I also decided to leave out sweet peppers that I would normally add in and stick more to a classic greek salad. Which normally includes tomatoes, red onion, kalamata olives, cucumbers, and feta.
So for the dressing I kept it simple but still flavorful. The dressing consists of red wine vinegar, olive oil, classic greek oregano, plus the addition of thyme and ground mustard.
Now I am not calling this a classic greek salad, because I added quinoa and chickpeas so I guess it should be ‘Greek Inspired’ anyway you call it this dish is tasty and filling. Perfect for a lunch (absolutely perfect for meal prep) and great for dinner, either on its own or with chicken. This Greek Quinoa Chickpea Salad is actually perfect with my Grilled Greek Chicken Kabobs or my Grilled Chicken Shawarma OR I will make a second batch of the dressing and marinate chicken in it, slap it on the grill then slice it up and throw it on top of the salad.
So to make this Greek Quinoa Chickpea Salad even more perfect it is also great made ahead and great for a potluck/picnic/bbq. Actually this salad gets better with a little rest time, letting the dressing soak in with the vegetables and quinoa. Plus since the salad is so hearty it does great sitting out for a period of time without it going bad.
Anyway you look at it this is a great option for lunch, snack, side dish, dinner, breakfast??? Well maybe not breakfast but this Greek Quinoa Chickpea Salad is really that perfect.
TIPS & TRICKS:
• Salads like this one are great because you don’t have to exactly follow the ingredients given, if you love tomatoes add more or if you hate onions add less!
• It is best to make the quinoa with enough time beforehand for it to cool to at least room temperature, better yet have it cold in the fridge
• If you are making this ahead of time and refrigerating it overnight you might want to add a splash of olive oil and a quick toss before serving it the next day, the quinoa dries up the salad a little bit after it sits all night
• For a larger meal I will make a second batch of the dressing and marinate chicken breasts in it, then grill it up, slice it, and throw it on top of the salad
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked & cooled (1 cup uncooked)
- 1 14.5oz can chickpeas, drained
- 1 cucumber, peeled & diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup diced red onion (about half a red onion)
- 1/3 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
for the dressing:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- To make dressing add vinegar, olive oil, oregano, thyme, mustard to a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add quinoa, chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, olives, and feta to the bowl.
- Toss everything to combine. Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container.
*If you are making this ahead of time and refrigerating it overnight you might want to add a splash of olive oil and a quick toss before serving it the next day, the quinoa dries up the salad a little bit after it sits all night
Nutritional data is automated, final nutritional information will depend on ingredients used and any changes made.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 332Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 254mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 11g
Peace & Love
Lauren, The Schmidty Wife
Please note that my links above may be affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. I recommend them because they are helpful, and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products.